Alternative Grain Beer Rye God?! RYE?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
till it\'s done
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
fruity, bright flavors, thick mouthfeel.
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Rye, God, RYE?!?
Brewer: Ben
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.13 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.38 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 8.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 59.8 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 69.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
1.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
2 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3 18.2 %
9 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 4 81.8 %
1.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 40.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 6 -
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Single
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Protein Rest Add 22.00 qt of water at 128.9 F 122.0 F 35 min
Saccharification Decoct 9.43 qt of mash and boil it 154.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
please note the efficiency! mine is terrible(this was typical for my system), and if you want to try this you will want to adjust for your typical efficiency.
2 lbs of rice hulls was probably a bit more than i needed, 16-24oz would probably work, depending on your system.
the protein rest is strongly recommended, but i've made this before without it.

this beer was intended as a funky experiment, but ended up tasting really good. it is a bit thick. It thins out a little trough conditioning, and I carbed it pretty high (2.3 volumes) to accomodate for this.

this is still sort of a work in progress, but it's good enough to post the recipe.

was looking this up for another post.... I am putting a SMaSH Rye/Summit/ WLP007 on my list, thank you for the inspiration.

pm5k00 said:
was looking this up for another post.... I am putting a SMaSH Rye/Summit/ WLP007 on my list, thank you for the inspiration.

Thank you! I've been meaning to brew another batch, but funds and time have been tight lately.

This looks like a great recipe. I've only made a rye from extract before and I am going to try this.

Be warned - this mash is prone to sticking.
I just did a new version of this, 12 lbs in a 4.5 gallon batch using 1 lb of rice hulls and got a stuck sparge

This looks almost exactly like the next brew Ihave planned. Except I'll be doing BIAB, so no rice hulls. But the volumes look spot on to my setup. How did this turn out.

Is there a way for a guy to attach his beersmith file when the post a recipe?
I know that a lot of recipes that people post are on beersmith on their machine and it would save someone else the trouble of inputting it, plus if you have to add an ingredient and figure out how to make beersmith understand it, it doesn't have to be repeated.
Probably the easiest way would be to post it to beersmith's recipes but I know that I don't even look there much since so many of the recipes are peoples new recipes that haven't even been brewed. Pretty much just thoughts that someone had with no comments like you get when someone talks about their recipe here.

Holy crap 81% rye? Yea, I'd say it's prone to sticking. Wow.
More like 100 percent Rye. The rice hulls don't add anything. They just help prevent the stuck mash.

Is there a way for a guy to attach his beersmith file when the post a recipe?

TxBrew supposedly added the .bsm (beersmith) and .bxml (beer xml) extensions to the list of allowed attachedments. So, if you look at the bottom of the PC screen in the quick reply area you'll see Manage Attachments. Try it and see if it works.

TAK said:
This looks almost exactly like the next brew Ihave planned. Except I'll be doing BIAB, so no rice hulls. But the volumes look spot on to my setup. How did this turn out.

i used ride hulls even when i did it biab, and I'm glad I did

TxBrew supposedly added the .bsm (beersmith) and .bxml (beer xml) extensions to the list of allowed attachedments. So, if you look at the bottom of the PC screen in the quick reply area you'll see Manage Attachments. Try it and see if it works.

Challenge accepted!

I just got an issue of BYO in the mail today. There will be something in there that I want to add to my database.
Maybe I'll add one to Beersmith and see if I can upload it.

It would be nice to be able to download the recipe rather than type it.

Wow so a 100% rye grain bill is possible with enough rice hulls. I've only gone up to 33% in the past. I may have to give this a try someday.

Challenge accepted!

I just got an issue of BYO in the mail today. There will be something in there that I want to add to my database.
Maybe I'll add one to Beersmith and see if I can upload it.

It would be nice to be able to download the recipe rather than type it.

Too slow, try the elbow.

Here's a Rye IPA I made two weeks ago. Looks like the attachments work again (they used to a couple of years ago too).

View attachment Rye IPA.bsmx

Too slow, try the elbow.

Here's a Rye IPA I made two weeks ago. Looks like the attachments work again (they used to a couple of years ago too).

You beat me to it!
I didn't find anything in this magazine that inspired me, but I did find an espresso stout that sounded good on their web site and uploaded it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/coffee-imperial-stout-370577/

Much better having the file uploaded if you've got it anyway. Lots of people on here use beersmith so why not make it easy and include the file?

By the way, let me know how the Rye IPA comes out. I would't mind adding it to my database if you like how it came out.
I've liked my smallish experiments with rye. I made a coffee rye beer a while back based on what I had around the house. It came out very bitter. After a few months, it was awesome though. Durring the bitter time, I thought it was a flop and threw out the notes from making it! Wish I would have kept them. That was before beersmith ( for me ) or else I would still have the notes.

You beat me to it!
I didn't find anything in this magazine that inspired me, but I did find an espresso stout that sounded good on their web site and uploaded it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/coffee-imperial-stout-370577/

Much better having the file uploaded if you've got it anyway. Lots of people on here use beersmith so why not make it easy and include the file?

By the way, let me know how the Rye IPA comes out. I would't mind adding it to my database if you like how it came out.
I've liked my smallish experiments with rye. I made a coffee rye beer a while back based on what I had around the house. It came out very bitter. After a few months, it was awesome though. Durring the bitter time, I thought it was a flop and threw out the notes from making it! Wish I would have kept them. That was before beersmith ( for me ) or else I would still have the notes.

The Rye IPA is great. I've made it 5 times already. It's mostly a copy of Denny Conn's Wry Eye IPA.

As I said, the attachments were at one time allowed here. HBT had an attack of some sort a couple of years ago and TxBrew turned off a bunch of the attachment types to avoid trojan horse attacks.

Yes, beersmith is a great tool not only for creating recipes but for archiving them. I used to have a notebook too but it's long gone. It literally started rotting, and I through it away when the pages started falling apart.

I'm currently mashing (BIAB) a 2 gallon SMaSH using 6.2 lb rye with 1.5 lbs rice hulls and mashing at 152 deg for 75 min. I'm gonna hop with only centennial. 4 lbs of the rye was bought from my LHBS and the other 2.2lbs (1kg) was a coarsely milled rye I bought at a food grain outlet about a month ago and kept in my freezer. According to beersmith I sdhould be getting 1.062 OG but I really have no idea how it's gonna go with that 2.2 lbs. I guess I'll see soon enough.

Back