What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
BS in computer science and philosophy (almost qualifies as CE, right?), JD, and former restaurant owner (sold it a year and a half ago).

IS a BS an engineering degree if it is a Bachelors of SCIENCE??? I have a BS (in Physics)...

But if you are a EE and program, then that's an engineer, if it is a computer scientist, I'd guess not. Although computer systems engineer would count.

Woot! 'Nother physicist over here!

I agree the engenerring help the DIY crowd, but I would like to also see how many home brewers are scientists. My background is chemistry amd microbiology which is basically everything that brewereing is to me.

Not an engineer, but I did study computer engineering when in College :) (I voted non-engineer)

Chemical Engineering Graduate from Michigan Tech 2011. Work as a Manufacturing Engineer. Maximizing my education by supporting my habit(s).

Not an engineer but spend several years cursing the ones who designed the C141.
I did score perfect on the mechanical portion of the asvab test and was called a mechanical MFn genius a time or two.

MechE from Clarkson University in NY. I currently work on Building Control Systems, aka HVAC controls. Hoping to someday transfer those skills to some kind of Brewery Automation & Efficiency consulting.

I'm not an engineer, but I took U-Physics 1&2 with a couple of hundred of you freaks f-ing the curve and still got 2 Bs - my proudest academic achievment.

I agree the engenerring help the DIY crowd, but I would like to also see how many home brewers are scientists. My background is chemistry amd microbiology which is basically everything that brewereing is to me.

Geology here. Nothing to do with brewing, or brewereing.
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Airborneguy said:
I was scared to death of fly in that plane. Luckily, other than one time, every time I was in one, I had a parachute on and jumped out of it!

Ha!:)
It was a very reliable aircraft but certain parts were a nightmare to access.

I'm a sailmaker, boatbuilder, and pro sailor. So I build all the stuff the engineers design, then I get to go out, break it, and tell them how they muffed everything up!

I like my job(s).

EI count? Just got my EIT results back last month. Not gainfully employed as one, but the market around here kinda sucks right now so, meh.

I'm an RF engineer.

When I started brewing, I promised myself I would not geek out, just keep it simple.

My log is now an Excel spreadsheet with 31 columns of data.

DOH!

HbgBill said:
I'm not.. I was a machinist who spent his career supporting engineers.. building their stuff. Without me.. they'd still just have ideas.. grin

I think engineers should have to do a year in manufacturing, mandatory.

Currently ER, Surgical, and whatever else nurse they need at moment.
Past work history: Construction, Firefighter, Welder, Baker, and Manufacturing....

Only eng or non eng ? Ouch. Artist by birth, tradesman by trade ( metals, carpentry, masonry), cultural resource management by education, urban planner by profession, and college educator by vocations. Ummm. Guess we arent getting in to the hobby thread... Haha thats why I love this forum. Now add some damn water

Reaver said:
Does growing up on a farm and learning to fix equipment my Grandfather buggered all to hell count?

I guess anything where you're spending all day fixing somebody elses mistakes should be acceptable ;)

Does it count if I'm not an engineer but I have a son who is? He got his EE in 1995. Me? Truck driver.

Does growing up on a farm and learning to fix equipment my Grandfather buggered all to hell count?

I am willing to bet that your grandfather had to bugger to FIX what the engineers have done wrong. I have worked on enough equipment to know that some people don't plan on making it easy to replace parts when they are needed.

I have a brother that is an engineer for CAT, needless to say he gets upset with some of his collegues for some of their ideas of how to put things together. He has spent enough time fixing things to know that if a part might break than it needs easy access.

I thought pretty heavily about becoming an engineer, mathematics came easy to me (differential equations, number theory, numerical analysis in high school, didn't study or do homework and they were all easy A's) Still intriguing area that I might go back to college for when I retire, needless to say I punched the numbers and ended up in the health field.

Comp Sci '98 U of IL. My title is often Software Engineer, but I disagree. Programmer more like it. Trying to become a music teacher.

Back