Smoking some grains tonight!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldies

Reaction score
As most of us know tis the season for Alaskan brewing company's annual release of their smoked porter. If you have never tried this beer than shame on you, and grab some while you can. I personally love smoked porter's rather it be with peat malt or rauch malt, both grains have their place in my book.

Tonight I am going to be building a cold smoker (soup can and soldering iron)to smoke some of the munich grains along with some cheddar and swiss cheese with Alder wood for a smoked porter I'm gonna be doing, the cheese is just for snacks. We also are going to smoke some of the grains with a hot smoke in a traditional smoker. But how are we going to pick up that slight taste of salmon that Alaskan's porter has? Good question, Alaskan brewery achieve's this by smoking their grains at a salmon smoking plant accross the street from their brewery (Which they now own I guess). I doubt they put salmon in the smokers while their grain is being smoked but this place is probably so heavily seasoned with salmon, you can probably walk in there and walk out smelling like smoked salmon. so we will be smoking 2 lbs of grain with salmon and another 2lbs will be smoked with out (Cold smoke). 4 lbs will be smoked total and is about 30% of the grain bill.

I'm walking a fine line here with the salmon being smoked at the same time as the grain and is why I'm only doing 30% of the grain bill. If its to light then I brew another batch with more smoke!! Wish me luck and happy brewing!

I'm walking a fine line here with the salmon being smoked at the same time as the grain and is why I'm only doing 30% of the grain bill. If its to light then I brew another batch with more smoke!! Wish me luck and happy brewing!

A fine line? More like an awesome line! Great Idea!

On Monday I smoked some 2row with apple wood, worked great, next time some meat is going to be in the smoker with the grains, perhaps some ham... Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

I wanted to try it with some local caught tuna as well and use the Whitelabs "San Diego" super yeast and try a westcoast style smoked porter as well.

I was just thinking of getting a spatter sheild sprayed with pam or something & smokin some fresh oysters with that alder & the grains!

A few people that I have spoken with and ran the idea through think its weird and gross. But the slight hint of salmon in Alaskan's smoked porter is what set's this beer apart from other smoked porters, and to be able to re-produce sounds fun and tasty. Plus I get a chance to smoke some cheese as well and who doesn't like smoked Cheddar...

So, how did this beer turn out? It's just not right that you tease use with your cold smoke grain and Salmon and not tell us how it is/was.

Back