Hop timing help needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akinsgre

Reaction score
I have got a Brew Monkey recipe with the following Hop timings, and need some help intepreting.

1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Target [11.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.4 IBU

I am used to my hop timings being in order with the time referring to the amount of time the hops will boil. For this recipe, I'd interpret Target goes in at Hot Break and there is a 60 minute boil. Goldings is added 20 min before flameout, 15 min before and at flameout.

However... the 20 min (First Wort Hop) confuses me. Also the fact that the hopes are listed in what appears to me to be reverse order.

Would someone help interpret this for me?

Yeah the FWH doesn't make sense to me. I have to think it is a typo.

Looks like you have it. Yes, it looks like it was written in reverse order than normal.

I'm not sure about the FWH part, but otherwise your interpretation is correct...throw Target in when the boil starts and the other times are in relation to how much time is left in the boil.

Yep, reverse the order, and they put the FWH on the wrong hop. Add the Target before you even bring the wort to a boil. Makes sparge time smell great too.

Yep, reverse the order, and they put the FWH on the wrong hop. Add the Target before you even bring the wort to a boil. Makes sparge time smell great too.

I don't think the target is the FWH. I think it's the 20 minute EKGs. I wouldn't do it that way, but many people say that FWH gives bitterness perception similar to 20 minute flavor hops, so I think that's what they are saying there. (I think it's wrong, but that's neither here nor there!)

Just drop the FWH in when you are collecting your runnings. I find FWH to be more rounded and flavorful than a 20 minute addition. I think the 20 min is mentioned so you can run it through your own software since that is the typical place to put them when using a brewing program. So what kind of beer is it?

Back