Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I plan on dong a 7 and half gallon batch of apfelwein today. Do you think I need to get two packages of yeast? I am going to stick with Edworts original recipe. with 3 lbs sugar instead of 2. Would it hurt anything to use two packages of yeast?

Finally made it to Costco today but couldn't find Tree Top. So I picked up some Kirkland(Costco's store brand). It doesn't say no preservatives but does say 100% juice and only lists apple juice as the only ingredient so I'm guessing it's o.k. Anyone else try using it?

Has anyone else gotten in the habit of looking at the ingredient lists of every type of apple juice in whatever store you're in? Is that weird? :ban:

Actually I think I found a quick and dirty solution - I put a small plate of baking soda on top of the fermenter and cover the whole thing loosely with a trash bag. Seems to be absorbing the smell quite well

My apologizes if this question has been asked before.

I'm ready to rack off my finished Apfelwein from a 6.5 glass carboy to a corney keg.

Can I just add more apple juice and sugar back to the 6.5 carboy on top of the leas and let the fermemtation begin again for a second batch?

Would the leas left in the carboy give the secound batch any off taste?

Or would it be better just to clean up and start over with fresh yeast?

Just finished reading every post on this thread.....ow.
Apfelwein to go into a new Betterbottle tonight or tomorrow. True to Edwoprt's original recipe. I'm thinking this batch may go right into champagne bottles to age for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'll get another batch going for drinking this summer. Hopefully will be getting some Possman's from a local store to taste since this "brew" takes some time.
Thanks Ed!

Hi guys,
I'm about ready to make my first batch of this; I figure it's long overdue. One question though (I've only read about the first 50 pages): the dextrose I bought was basically bulk packaged. Should I boil this with some of the juice to sanitize it? Or do you think it's good to go as is?
Thanks!

Hi guys,
I'm about ready to make my first batch of this; I figure it's long overdue. One question though (I've only read about the first 50 pages): the dextrose I bought was basically bulk packaged. Should I boil this with some of the juice to sanitize it? Or do you think it's good to go as is?
Thanks!

I wouldn't boil the juice, but if you want to you can microwave some water to boiling and dissolve the sugar in that (you don't want to use any more water than necessary, since that dilutes the wine). You don't have to, though - infections from dry dextrose are pretty rare.

I wouldn't worry about it. Sugar sucks the moisture out of everything, so if there had been any bacteria in there (very unlikely, due to the processing used to produce the dextrose), they're mummies at this point and unlikely to be very viable.

my first post here and it might as well be on this thread becasue this apfelwein is what brought me here. gonna start a batch here before next weekend. my only question is this stuff comes out to somewhat around 8.5% abv right? so i think i'm gonna take it one 12oz serving at a time slowly

If you use the cloudy organic juice, will it clear?

I was wondering the same thing and found this post (#3055 on page 306). I made mine with the natural organic Motts stuff as it was all I could get my hands on at the time.

Blacklab said:
I just bottled a batch I made with some real cloudy 'organic' stuff from my local hippie grocery store - turns out the cloudy apple stuff didn't drop out, but I really like the taste. My first batch was with the typical tree top/costco stuff, and we really liked it, so this one should be even better. It was much sweeter, even with the FG being .990 or so. Can't wait until it's carbed!

I got a 5 gallon Better Bottle and the cap Ed has pictured on the first page. It doesn't fit very tight and is a little loose. Is that normal?

I got a 5 gallon Better Bottle and the cap Ed has pictured on the first page. It doesn't fit very tight and is a little loose. Is that normal?

There are two different designs for the orange carboy cap. One fits perfectly, the other is pretty much useless.

There are two different designs for the orange carboy cap. One fits perfectly, the other is pretty much useless.

So it appears I have the useless one.It looks exactly the same as the one pictured. So how do you know if your getting the good one.Is there certain brand to look for or something.So is it better I get a new one for a tighter fit or will the one I have work o.k. I was thinking about putting some packing tape around it to make a better seal.Would that get me through this batch at least.

It's not useless by any means. Hell, plenty of people just forgo the stopper/airlock method and just use sanitized tinfoil. As long as it's keeping bacteria out (which fall down, not climb up) it's working.

I used the caps, these larger so called "worthless ones," on several batches and never had a problem. If you like, you can secure them with a rubber band.

Does anyone have a one gallon recipe?

Don't do it...you'll be sorry! My first batch was done in two 1 gallon jugs, because I really didn't think I'd like it that much. I soon regretted that decision, and have now made a dozen or so 5 gallon batches. I usually keg 3 and bottle 2...I'm actually considering 8 gallon batches, so I can keg 5 and bottle 3!

I have floated my first 5 gallon keg of apfelwein. Yaay.
I had bottled it previously. I liked the kegged version much better.
The 2 1/2 gallon keg of Cherry Apfelwein will be gone soon.

Thinking a Marionberry Apfelwein will be next. Maybe a 10 gallon batch to age and offer as Christmas gifts. I'll package them in a basket with a bottle of Tylenol :tank:

I just bottled my first batch last night. I made a miscalculation and was short a few bottles, so I started putting it right into a glass and, well, I just had to keep making more room in the glass. This was right before dinner. Yeah, I was pretty close to calling EdWort a M'F**kR this morning.

ok, I know this has been beaten to death a thousand (well actually I guess this is probably the 4563rd) times but I'm going to ask anyways.... My apfelwein is going to be about a month and a week old at the time of a party that I am having. I'd like to serve some, though obviously it will not be up to the flavor that it's capable of (in the past, I'd started really drinking it at 5 months). Anyone have any serving suggestions? I'll likely be putting this in a keg and force carbing it (well, maybe like 3 gallons). Perhaps back sweeten a wee bit with apple juice or lactose when I transfer it to the keg? Just looking for ideas in case the "co-host" decides they don't think it's ready to serve or unpalatable. I like the dry refreshing flavor of the original, I'm slightly worried about it being too "green" though (hah the English brown I made will be the same age come day of the party too!).

EdWort said:
How do you sweeten it?
Many folks back sweeten it with Wine Conditioner. Wine Conditioner is a blend of sucrose and sorbic acid. The addition of 2-4 oz. per gallon adds sweetness and prevents renewed fermentation. It can be purchased as any LHBS that caters to wine makers. Others will use Splenda or lactose (other non-fermentable sugars). Germans who prefer it sweet (or Suß as they say) will add a splash of Sprite or 7up to a glass. This is the easiest method as you don't have to make a whole "sweet" batch that way.

Hope that helped. :mug:

Back