Ooh That Smell Cant You Smell That Smell!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesmcgee

Reaction score
Well, I read in many posts about smelly fermentations! But boy oh boy does this ****ing apfelwein smell like ass! Confirmed as this Montrachet is pumping out sulfur smell like its no bodies business!

:tank:

Well!

Skynrd....:rockin:

Yeah it does stink, my first two batches I used Premier Cuvee yeast and wow it smelled nasty. This last batch I used Montrachet and it was nowhere near as stinky, but it still stunk.

Rock on! :rockin:

Man thats bubblin away! Blowin smells all over the damn place!:D

Honestly I'm really hopin this is some awesome stuff, my buddy is really into German culture and speaks fluent german..so wanting to appease his love of the german culture i wanted to suprise him with some bottles of Apfelwein for his birthday... and my question now is.. what should I do to bottle this Apfelwein!... Wine bottles? Beer bottles? I'm sorry im seriously new at this apfelwein game.

Beer or soda bottles if you're gonna carbonate it. If you bottle it still (no carbonation) wine bottles will work fine. I like it better carbonated myself.

It's good stuff, a little hot tasting when I bottled it but it mellows out after a month or two in the bottle. It's supposed to be really good after 6 months, but so far I haven't been able to wait that long.

If you're going for style points, you can also use champagne bottles. But, as ifishsum was alluding to... don't use bottles not meant for pressure if the beer is carbonated.

I just bought some champagne bottles that can be capped with a regular capper and they look really nice. You can shrink wrap some foil on top if you want to get really crazy.

3 Batches now and I haven't smelled anything bad. 2 batches with montrachet and the third with S-04.

Get your sinus checked and but some sudifed.
When I make apfelwein regardless of what type of yeast is used, it smells like buffalo farts for the first 3 - 4 days of fermentation, especially so with Montrachet yeast.

I personally have gotten to like it. It's great when you have 3 carboys going at the same time. Ooooh, don'tcha smell that smell!! :D

Rock on! :rockin:

Man thats bubblin away! Blowin smells all over the damn place!:D

Honestly I'm really hopin this is some awesome stuff, my buddy is really into German culture and speaks fluent german..so wanting to appease his love of the german culture i wanted to suprise him with some bottles of Apfelwein for his birthday... and my question now is.. what should I do to bottle this Apfelwein!... Wine bottles? Beer bottles? I'm sorry im seriously new at this apfelwein game.

Go get some Tecate or Carte Blanca in 32 oz bottles and soak the labels off after you drink the beer. They will make great gift bottles. 1 bottle, 1 great buzzz.

Thanks Ed! I'll definitely be doing some large beer bottles like you said, I might even buy a couple champagne bottles and fill those babies up, man am I excited to taste this stuff, of course not for another couple months :p

Get your sinus checked and but some sudifed.
When I make apfelwein regardless of what type of yeast is used, it smells like buffalo farts for the first 3 - 4 days of fermentation, especially so with Montrachet yeast.

I think I have made 4-5 batches and I never have any smell either. Always the original recipe with fresh pressed no additive juice from Costco.

I do love me some all grain apfelwein though!

Well, all I can say is this stuff definitely smells! Hey I guess its partial mash right? the apples were mashed to get the juice:D:D

:fro:

Back