dry hopping time frame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Is there a point where you should stop dry hopping? My porter has been dry hopping for 2 weeks and 2 days and I was ready to bottle but since I was away for 10 days, I don't have enough empty bottles to do it! Will it hurt to dry hop for 3-4 weeks?

just from reading other posts here - dry hopping for too long, depending on the hop type can lead to grassy flavours.
hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in

ok, in that case, I'm dry hopping with Fuggles.

More than a month the flavors can get weird. Since I dry hop in the keg, I've have several oppertunities to find this out. By the time I decide to transfer the ale, the flavors are in the ale to stay, or there just isn't enough to bother transferring.

I dry-hopped with HP without using a bag... they spread around quite a bit and never really sank to the bottom.

After 2 weeks I was ready to bottle, but decided that I should clarify for a few weeks to make sure there aren't any hops floating in my bottled beer...

Good move, cuz during the carboy transfer a lot of hops made their way through the siphon.

just a word of warning!

Back