Soaking Oak Cubes in Whiskey- how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanlee19

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advise about how long to soak oak cubes in whiskey?

I'm making a porter that I am going to add medium plus toast oak cubes soaked in whiskey. I look around and northern brewer says to soak the oak cubes for 1-2 days. However, I've also read threads where some say to soak for at least 1-2 weeks, with others saying 1 month.

I've never used oak cubes before. so I wanted to see what others say based on their experiences.

Thanks

For Oak Cubes supposedly 2 weeks is the minimum to get all the flavor (from a conference at the NHC 2013). For a Bourbon Barrel Old Ale I soaked them for 45 days.
I placed them in a jar that I would put in the Freezer at night and take out in the morning, causing the wood to expand and contract.

The other thing to as i show much oak? 1 ounce? 2 ounces?
You can over oak your beer.

Oak chips on the other hand will impart their flavor faster.

Just start them now and add when you're ready to add. 2 weeks is probably a good minimum though.

I soaked 2 oz. of oak chips in bourbon for 2 weeks for my first bourbon barrel ale, it wasn't nearly enough bourbon, or oak.
I ended up adding an oak infusion spiral and 2 cups of bourbon to the secondary.
It's been aging for 4 months (I forgot about a case in my basement) and it is real good, but nothing compared to the Kentucky bourbon barrel ale that I aged in a used whisky barrel.
You can pick up a used 5 gal whiskey Barrel for $89.00 and do it right, I have my second batch aging in it as we speak.

I'm planning to use 2oz of cubes and 16 oz of burbon. I may try the method of using a glass jar and putting it in the freezer at night and out during the day. I think I'll try soaking them for around 3-4 weeks and leaving them in the secondary for 2 weeks.

What size batch? I've been very pleased with 6-8oz bourbon in a 5g batch. Comes through nicely. My gut reaction is 16oz is too much. 2oz oak is great.

Back