More Yeast After A Failed Attempt in the same Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tflo101

Reaction score
So it is 9:30 at night now, and I brewed my wort late yesterday morning. No bubbles yet, and I think I might have damaged the yeast because when I put them into the wort, I didnt mix the wort around with the cold water, so the temperature could have been higher and damaged the yeast. I am going to give it a couple days to see if it is working or not. But if it isnt, could I just put some more hops in the same wort? Any feedback would be appreciated.

You could potentially wait 72 hours before you see signs of fermentation. How hot do you think the wort was when you added the yeast?

What kind of yeast?
What temperature is the beer at the moment?
But, no worries, like McKBrew said, signs of fermentation can take time to show.

Well the it was the kind of yeast that is liquid and comes in viles. As for the temperature now, it is actually kind of low. In a room that is 65 with some blankets over it, whether that makes any significat difference or not. As for the temperature when the yeast went in, the wort was right off stove, with about 15 minutes of sitting in a cool room. I then put 3 gallons of cold water in, then didnt stir it up, and took the temp near the top and it read in the 60s. So I put another gallon of pretty warm water in, and put the yeast in after that. So stupid of me looking back.

72 hours is indeed how long you should wait before worrying.

Aside from your temperature issues, you also did not make a starter, nor did you purposely aerate the wort.
however since it wasn't a full boil, the top off water should take care of the oxygen...but the yeast still has to grow to a population capable of fermenting the wort, before you'll see signs of fermentation.
this is the 'lag phase', and is why a starter plus oxygen will lessen the lag phase from several days, to a couple hours.

tflo101 said:
Well the it was the kind of yeast that is liquid

That is why it hasn't taken off yet. They normally take 1-3 days to "kick off" a noticeable fermentation. RDWHAHB

In the future, you should use a cold bath of some kind to cool your wort down to 70 or 80 degrees before pouring it into your fermenter. Then add the to-off water and either stir or shake the fermenter to get everything mixed together and to aerate. Once you've done shaking then you can add your yeast.

It is also a good idea to make a starter when using liquid yeast to cut down on the lag time for fermentation.

...and the next time you are at your lbhs - pick up a couple packs of nottingham dry yeast just in case

Back