airlock bubbling over!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I am on the third day of a fermentation of a high gravity ale. Almost immediately after adding a smack pack of trappist hg, ithe airlock began bubbling. The next day and still now it has bubbling VERY aggressively, so much so, that when I got home tonight, it the airlock was bubbling over and the water in the airlock is murky so that you cannot see through it, but the gas coming out the airlock smells great. Should I be concerned about anything? Make any changes or os this just a high gravity thing?

Ok. Is the beer going to be ruined if I can't do that for a day or so? Anything I can do in meantime?

I am on the third day of a fermentation of a high gravity ale. Almost immediately after adding a smack pack of trappist hg, ithe airlock began bubbling. The next day and still now it has bubbling VERY aggressively, so much so, that when I got home tonight, it the airlock was bubbling over and the water in the airlock is murky so that you cannot see through it, but the gas coming out the airlock smells great. Should I be concerned about anything? Make any changes or os this just a high gravity thing?

I'll second the blow off tube.

What was your pitch and ambient temps?

Rick

Pitch was between 65 n 70 and ambient temp hovers around 62. This thing os going crazy. Seriously bubbling over!! And the lid of the bucket looks like it is going to pop off. Should intake out the airlock for a minute and clean it and refill it to relieve pressure and unclog?

you can get it going today, just shove the hose from your syphon in the rubber stopper you put your airlock into and feed the other end into a pitcher of water

CTR08 said:
you can get it going today, just shove the hose from your syphon in the rubber stopper you put your airlock into and feed the other end into a pitcher of water

Ok. Just did that. Foam just keeps slowly rising up that tube though. This is my first high gravity beer and it just seems crazy. The pitcher of water is now just letting out some crazy belches.

Hope the brew isn't compromised from that. Never had that happen before. Thanks for the help!!

Don't sweat it. You simply have an active fermentation which is better than a slow fermentation which tends to lead to tired yeast that are not predictable and create off flavors. With any beer with OG over 1.055 or so expect to get a serious amount of activity if you prepare the yeast well and give them a good medium to grow. Keep in mind that beers with a high starting gravity will also take longer to achieve terminal gravity and even longer to actually taste good compared to most lower gravity beers.

HopLife said:
Don't sweat it. You simply have an active fermentation which is better than a slow fermentation which tends to lead to tired yeast that are not predictable and create off flavors. With any beer with OG over 1.055 or so expect to get a serious amount of activity if you prepare the yeast well and give them a good medium to grow. Keep in mind that beers with a high starting gravity will also take longer to achieve terminal gravity and even longer to actually taste good compared to most lower gravity beers.

Thanks! And the belches are great fun!!

If the yeast you are talking about is Wyeast 3787 that is typical behavior for it. Starts a little slow, then blows up. After things are settled down, and fermentation appears to have stopped or are stopping ramp up the temperature to the mid 70's to be sure it finishes.

pdxal said:
If the yeast you are talking about is Wyeast 3787 that is typical behavior for it. Starts a little slow, then blows up. After things are settled down, and fermentation appears to have stopped or are stopping ramp up the temperature to the mid 70's to be sure it finishes.

That is it, sir!

Back