Mashing with pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
I have read through a bunch of threads and haven't really found an definitive answer on this. I am brewing my pumpkin beer tomorrow and am using the pumpkin in the mash. Do I need to increase the amount of water I need to account for the pumpkin? And furthermore do I need to increase my water to account for the rice hulls? I know I am in for a long day as the pumpkin will make for a very slow draining. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, I already learned a lot on the pumpkin discussion thread.

when I made my pumpkin beer I did not add extra water it turned out fine exceptthe stuck sparge
have fun :mug:

Get ready for the longest sparge of your life, and remember if its still trickling it ain't stuck.

Thanks and yes it was the longest sparge of my life. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it takes me forever to collect the 6 gallons or so I need even in my prior batches. I am going to have to do some trouble shooting before my next brew. I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid with a steel braid. This was my 3rd all grain batch, the first 2 went pretty well, this one was much tougher. I missed my targeted gravity by a lot and had very poor efficiency. On a brighter note the beer really smells like pumpkin pie and tastes like it which is what I wanted and I had a nice yeast starter for it. Oh and using a refractometer was fun.

Back