Alexander's Sun Country pale LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
5 weeks ago I brewed an IPA With the following extract/grain bill:

6.8# Sun Country Pale LME (4# of it with 15 min left in boil)
1# extra light DME
1# wheat DME (65%/35%)
.75# crystal 60
.25# biscuit

O.G.-1.067

I used two pkgs of wyeast 1000 headwaters ale, smacked the day before. I added wyeast nutrient @ 10 mins left in boil. Aerated by stirring and then shaking fermentor. Pitched @ 66*, fermented at 67-68* for three weeks, then at 70-72* for the next two. S.G. Has been at 1.023 for a week. I transferred to secondary for dry hopping this morning.
My question is, having had similar gravities after primary in 2 other beers where Sun Country pale LME was the main fermentable... Has anyone else experienced similar results when using this brand of LME? I've used different yeasts (1056, 1272, and now 1000) in beers with it and had similar gravities. Whereas with these yeasts in beers using say, Coopers LME, I get gravities in the low teens. Procedure being the same, I have to look at ingredients. Anyone else noticed this with Sun Country?
Thanks!

Never heard of sun country brewing stuff. Sounds like some kinda drink mix. But,the sun country LME may have more un-fermentables in it, causing the brew to have a higher FG.

my LHBS sells bulk Alexanders LME

i used it as the main fermentable in my 1st 4 batches
2 finished around 1.014 using US-05
1 finished around 1.014 using 1272 with a starter
1 finished around 1.022 using 1056 with a starter

my LHBS sells bulk Alexanders LME

i used it as the main fermentable in my 1st 4 batches
2 finished around 1.014 using US-05
1 finished around 1.014 using 1272 with a starter
1 finished around 1.022 using 1056 with a starter

So you got the same FG with the 1056 I did. And the 1000 is supposed to attenuate in the same range as 1056. I hit 1.017 with the 1272, but didn't use a starter and I don't believe I used nutrient.
It's a great LME, I guess it just doesn't dry out the same as something like coopers or muntons. Sure is tasty though!

i think my 1056 batch was under aerated and may have been an issue

i didn't start using nutrients until after I switched to mainly using DME or doing AG but after a lot of reading it sounds like they can be a big help esp for FAN deficiencies in extract

I've used cooper's cans as a base in every batch with 3lbs of Munton's plain DME (different "colors",depending) & hops with them. That amount of DME will take an ale that with brewing sugar will go down to 1.006-1.008,& finish it at 1.010-1.012. Even that'll depend on whether a starter was used or just re-hydrated. I've used the cooper's ale yeast every time, Mostly in small starters or re-hydrated.
Re-hydrated got me 1.012,the small starters got me down to 1.010 with fresher yeast added to the starter. I've even revived yeast from 2009 with said starter. It tried to blow the lid off by morning when the krausen plugged the airlock base.

i think my 1056 batch was under aerated and may have been an issue

i didn't start using nutrients until after I switched to mainly using DME or doing AG but after a lot of reading it sounds like they can be a big help esp for FAN deficiencies in extract

I've heard. Best I can do is a PM at the moment, and alotta times just do extract w/grain recipes. I've also noticed DME to ferment much better, but I do all sorts of mixing and matching with extracts, so I like to include LME as an option. I think the sun country has some great flavor characteristics, I just never hit my target OG when I use it.

Back