Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was breaking in the new smoker this weekend. Fri night: smoked beef short ribs, corn on the cob, and baked potatoe's. Forgot to take pics. Well, I got too drunk during the cook to remember to take pics. ;)

Sat: smoked 3 racks of baby backs and took them to the Reading Phils baseball game. Everyone loved them. Also forgot to take pics, but was too busy doing other things that day.

Got a new el cheap brinkmann vertical upright.
Changed out the coal pan for a grill wok.
Breaking it in with something easy.

Pecan smoked bratwurst
Smoker%20Maze_sm.jpg
Smoked%20Brats_sm.jpg

Made a maze of lump and pecan chips.... should work out great

It's on this weekend... A pork butt, full slab or ribs, whole chicken and a nice cut of salmon. Oh yea' also brewing.

Hell I might need to call in on Monday.:drunk:

5.75lb brisket flat going on before work in the morning. Would have preferred a full packer, but it was free, so what the hay. I have some grouper left from last years fishin trip I may try smoking as well. Never done fish.

Fish is my fav, usually brine for 1 to 2 hours, then place skin side down on a piece of brown paper from a bag. Smoke only for 1 to 2 hours, depending on thickness.

Just pulled two shoulders off the smoker and pulled them and ate as much bark as I could stomach. Into the fridge for Sunday's wedding hangover party.

Fish is my fav, usually brine for 1 to 2 hours, then place skin side down on a piece of brown paper from a bag. Smoke only for 1 to 2 hours, depending on thickness.

It's a pretty thick filet, 2lb 3oz and about 2" thick. I was thinking 3-4 hours at 225. Whatcha think?

Smokers fired up, almost ready to toss the brisket on. :rockin:

Turned out okay. A little too much salt in the brine, but otherwise good. Ended up going for about 4 hours at 250, got as high as 300 at one point. :eek: Still came out juicy and flaky though.

milldoggy said:

I tried this last night. I brined two salmon filets with salt, garlic and dill for about an hour. Smoked at 250 for about 1.5 hours on the paper bag. Best salmon I have made by a long shot! Thanks for the tips.

I just cooked a butt as per Arneba28's recipe in the slow-cooker. Threw it in the oven to finish it off for about an hour. I'm hoping it's ready to bring to my homebrew club meeting today. Can't wait to get the smoker going though!

lschiavo said:
I tried this last night. I brined two salmon filets with salt, garlic and dill for about an hour. Smoked at 250 for about 1.5 hours on the paper bag. Best salmon I have made by a long shot! Thanks for the tips.

The paper bag trick is the best. I also like to drizzle with brown sugar. Just melts right into the fish.

If they taste half as good as they look....

I threw some cheap frozen wings on for about an hour. They were excellent. I've just been re-lighting the charcoal for the last few quick cooks. I love my smoker!

BTW...Please share your technique.

This weekend I smoked a half brisket which came out ok. I was in a hurry, didn't marinade it/inject etc. I just rubbed it down after getting the fire going. Cooked from 7am to 4:30pm @240 degrees. It was only a little 7lb guy. Had the rest of the crew that was coming over, actually showed up on time, the brisket would have been fine. I wrapped it in foil, stuck it in the oven, but we didn't eat it till 9 or so. By then it had started to dry out a bit.

Also made a fatty (hey, the wife was away for the weekend), with sliced vidalla onion, orange bell pepper, a little bbq sauce and alot of shredded cheddar. my brother and I snacked on this while waiting for the rest of the crew to show, along with some MONSTER ABT's. I haven't seen jalapeno's this large before, but it was all the grocery store had. A couple of them I could fit TWO lil' smokies in!

And to finish it off, I finally gave my hand at pig candy. That was delicious!

This was the first solid cook where everything worked the way it was supposed to on the new smoker. A 10lb bag of charcol lasted me 14 hours. I was pretty happy. And the stoker only varied by .4 degree's the entire time. Now I just need to pick up a cheapo router so I can start logging all the info.

Unfortunately the whole point of having people over was to drink the commercial beer I have in my beer fridge, so I have enough room to store the 36 racks of baby backs I'll be purchasing next week for our big summer bash. That meant I was pretty drunk by the end of the cook, and completely forgot to take pics throughout the day.

If they taste half as good as they look....

I threw some cheap frozen wings on for about an hour. They were excellent. I've just been re-lighting the charcoal for the last few quick cooks. I love my smoker!

BTW...Please share your technique.

yep, gotta know how to cook 'em

I use the rib tips to put in a bean medoly after they have been smoked, then put the beans in the smoker :D

They were trimmed to St Louis and membrane removed. Rubbed without mustard right before going in. They were cooked at 250-275 on a UDS. I went with 2.5/1.5/.5 where 2.5 hours naked in the smoker, 1.5 hours wrapped in foil with nothing added in, and then the last 30 minutes unwrapped with sauce (15 minutes each side).

I normally don't cook the trimmings along with the ribs but there was a chance a couple friends were going to show up and I wanted to make sure there was enough to go around.

Doing my first "big" smoke this weekend as well as my first time smoking for other people where if I screw it up, 30 people don't have meat :eek:. I'm a little nervous since I've only ever used the smoker twice.. Just doing Pork Butt so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Doing my first "big" smoke this weekend as well as my first time smoking for other people where if I screw it up, 30 people don't have meat :eek:. I'm a little nervous since I've only ever used the smoker twice.. Just doing Pork Butt so I'm sure it'll be fine.

make sure you leave more time than you think you'll need. Beauty of the butt is it can be foiled and left to rest for a couple of hours if you're done early.

My first smoke for a gathering was a pork butt as well. It was a big hit! Just watch your temps and leave yourself plenty of time as stated earlier. I think you really have to try to screw it up. Good luck and post some pics.

Monday Is part of my weekend, and I'm about to get a couple birds on the smoker. Rubbed with my own brown sugar/chili rub and smoked over Cherry wood. Should have enough for dinner plus sandwiches all week!! First cook on the new smoker as well, we'll see how she performs. Coming up to temp as I type.

Yeah, the 4th is going to be a big party at my parents place. We'll be bringing the smoker back up. So far the menu includes:

Pulled Pork
Brisket
Lots of ABT's
Pig Candy
Salt Potatoes
Corn on the cob (haven't decided if I'm smoking that or just boiling it)

Never have made moink balls. Not sure if I need to either with the rest of this lineup. I could make a couple of fatties, just to answer some curiosities of family members that have never had them. Still contemplating that one..

Looks like I'm smokin Ribs for a concert on the 4th and grilling some chicken, sure hope my summer ale has enough carb to take a keg of my own beer too

When I lived in Montreal, Canada, we used to eat something called Smoked Meat. It's very popular there. It's sort of a cross between corned beef and pastrami in that it is cured, pickled and smoked. I have one curing in the fridge now and will smoke it this weekend. It's VERY tasty on rye bread with mustard. Nothing else. And it has to be hot. God I miss the real thing that's smoked in smokers with 90 years of old residue!

Back