Vinny V's keezer build - Kenmore 8.8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince805

Reaction score
While waiting for my first batch to be ready I decided to get started on my keezer build. I just scored a kenmore 8.8 in black off of craigslist. I am planning on doing a collar build, so I need to go get some wood. Also I will be ordering the faucets, hoses and other stuff I will need soon. Very excited to get started!

IMAG0350.jpg

Got started on the collar, using 2x10 from home depot. I ended up using my circular saw to make the 45 degree cuts. Didn't come out perfect, but not horrible either.

IMAG0355.jpg

Hey vince. I'm interested in how this build goes for you. Can you keep us updated with pics throughout your process? Ill be subscribing

Yes, I will keep updating this build thread. I am waiting on some parts to come in this week, but I should be able to get the collar done and attached to the lid soon. Actually I do need to wait for my shipment from sears, I have a set of hinges and a factory gasket coming in. I will be doing a double hinge setup.

After that is done the next step will be the faucets. I need to get my order with keg connection in asap so I will have those when I need them.

Almost forgot, before all that I need to get these rust spots taken care of. Thinking I might need to sand this whole area up then treat it and paint it... Not sure though. Does it look bad?

IMAG0351.jpg

Here's an update to my build. I'm working on getting the thermostat set now. Just waiting on some final parts before I move it to the basement.

IMAG0405.jpg

SLICK! That's pretty clean looking. If I were you I'd be extra jazzed to start using it (especially since it'll be your first brew!)

Here's some updated pics of my completed keezer. It's up and running now! It's dual hinge, and I got my first batch of brew carbing up!

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0413.jpg

Hey there neighbor. I grew up in hueneme, and now I work on base. Just started home being, how about you?

I live on base. Been brewing a little over year with a break due to moving. Not that many brews under my belt but about to jump into all grain on my next batch as soon as my new born lets me.

IMHO, that's one of the best looking Keezers with a collar on here. I like that you went with paint to match the appliance rather than stain. Great job.

<-- Totally jealous of the CO2 tank also.

I live on base. Been brewing a little over year with a break due to moving. Not that many brews under my belt but about to jump into all grain on my next batch as soon as my new born lets me.

I got a 6 month old, and yea I totally understand. I am doing extracts, not looking to do all grain yet. Still getting the hang of these. I've only done 2 batches so far. We might do a double brew batch day soon though, gotta get get ready for college football and basketball season.

Love the dual hinge setup. Makes getting things into it easier it seems. How is the seal on the bottom of the mount? Any cold air coming out since it is not caulked there like I have seen on others.

The dual hinge is awesome. I love it. I got the idea from someone else here on the board while combing through the many build threads. I ordered an extra set of stock hinges from sears so I wouldnt have to make extra holes. With the order I also got an extra gasket for the lid, which I connected to the bottom of the collar and so that makes a great seal. So no problems with air coming out.

IMHO, that's one of the best looking Keezers with a collar on here. I like that you went with paint to match the appliance rather than stain. Great job.

<-- Totally jealous of the CO2 tank also.

Thanks for the compliment! I like the look of it being all black also. the 20# co2 should last me a long time! I actually have 2 of them, thinking of trading one for a 5# or 10# though. I got the second one with a jockey box I purchased from craigslist for $50. The jockey box is the next project I will be working on, getting it cleaned up and replacing the hoses and stuff. Will be perfect for tailgating.

College football can't wait! ( Go Bucks)!!!

Did you know there is a new brewery/home brew shop in Ventura? Surf brewery really good place.

I got one more extract kit to make, dontg want to waste but I am gong to change out the yeast and maybe change up the hops. Also going nto try wine.

When opening the lid and the collar, are springs holding it open or is the a support stick like a hood of a car? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Here's a pic of the hinges. There is no stick holding up anything.

I read about the surf brewery place but haven't gone yet. I like the bring your own food idea.

IMAG0416.jpg

How is the Surf Brewery? I am in Ventura Co. too and am always interested in new, local HB/Microbrews.

To stay on topic, I just finished my Kenmore 8.8 keezer. I attached the collar (1 x 10 poplar) to the lid and the hinges have no problem with the combined weight of the collar, lid, and 4 taps.

[How is the Surf Brewery? I am in Ventura Co. too and am always interested in new, local HB[/QUOTE]

It is really nice. They have a good selection of ingredients. If they don't have it they have a wish list, so I guess if enough people ask for it they get it.

The bar side is really nice and good beer. They give tours and have brewing classes. The prices are reasonable to.

Back