CO2 manifold 5/16" barbs too big for 1/4" corny connection HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
Okay, I bought a used Keg Connection CO2 manifold from another member.

I didn't realize I needed to take into account different size barbs (1/4" or larger).
This is my first time kegging and realized last night I didn't have the right barb size! :(

I went to General Air today and got some 1/4" brass barbs that will work for now but need some suggestions:

1. I can replace the barb going into the manifold fine, but where can I get cheap 1/4" check valves? I'd like to go local and save on shipping.
FYI you can take the barbs off the check valves but the threads aren't "normal." You can't just put a new size barb on it.

2. Do they sell larger than 1/4" barbed gas in connections for cornies? I've only seen 1/4".

3. Does someone make/sell a piece that can connect a 3/8" line to a 1/4" line?
I was thinking of a piece with 2 barbs on each end that would act as a line reducer to put together different size lines.

A generic image of my manifold is below.

CO2 man cropped.JPG

Also, can the plug in the end of the manifold be removed and replaced with another check valve making it a 3 way air distributor?

CO2 man cropped.JPG

I'm confused. You can easily put 1/4" ID tubing over a 5/16" barb. Just soak the end in a mug of boiling water for 30 seconds.

Okay, my mistake. The barbs on the manifold are way bigger than 5/16" but I don't know what exact size they are. I just went to keg connection to see what they came on theirs as this is the brand I have.

The manifold barb size fits fine on my commercial Sanke D coupler which is 3/8" I think?

Anyway the 1/4" corny gas in barb in way too small for the lines coming off the manifold barbs.

Okay I took the manifold to the LHBS and they confirmed the barbs are 5/16" even though they mic out to almost 3/8"

They also assured me I can use 5/16" CO2 line on 1/4" barb with a hose clamp.

I'm still worried about a slow leak from the 1/4" barb but oh well. We will see.

I don't understand, why aren't you just using the standard 5/16 barbs for the 1/4 line? Dip them in hot water for a bit, push them over the barb, secure w/ clamp.
That 1/4 hose should then fit on the corny QD barb as well - also use a clamp.

To one of your other questions, yes - you can remove the plug in the manifold to add a another check valve and have 3 separate shutoffs.

DustBow said:
I don't understand, why aren't you just using the standard 5/16 barbs for the 1/4 line?

I had 5/16" CO2 line already but I didn't hook it up to the 1/4" barb on my corny because I thought even with a hose clamp the line would leak from the 1/4" but I was wrong.

LHBS told me to heat up the end of the 5/16" line, even for the 1/4" then hose clamp. It hasn't leaked yet.

I always hesitate to put a loose connection inside a hose. I didn't want to waste a full 20lb tank because I rushed to get setup.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back