Where to brew..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnchorBock

Reaction score
This weekend I would like to try my first all grain batch, which is also my first full volume batch. I'm going to use the BIAB method and have a 15 gallon kettle, bag, and 40' immersion chiller I just built. I'm trying to figure out where to brew. I usually just do partial boils on the stovetop with an icebath afterwards.

I had to turn my outside water off a few weeks ago, so I'm a little weary of boiling in the garage with the propane burner and then carrying the kettle filled with boiling wort outside up a few stairs and into the house to chill it, I'm sure it could be done, but I'm trying to figure out a better solution. I could carry it outside and set it down and get some snow around it to chill it, but I'm not sure how well this would work.

I initially planned to brew on my gas stovetop, which would work, except for the fact that it gets steam and condensation all over my house. I also don't get a full rolling boil unless the lid is on, but could insulate the kettle a bit to help with that. If I have to, I can deal with the condensation and maybe crack a couple windows to help a bit.

Either scenario will work - chilled wort will go in the carboy and into the basement. Do you guys have any advice to make either setup more workable? I'm trying to keep with the theme of BIAB by keeping it simple. Once it's warm enough to turn the outside water back on I'll probably just brew in the garage.

Thanks

My experience is that the stove will not bring anything bigger than 5 gallons to the boil. I have a 15gallon kettle and its awesome on the bayou burner, but even over two flames on the stove it struggles to get a rolling boil with 5gallons. Run a longer hose for the chiller, hose is cheaper than spilled wort and burned hands.

You could always check Home Depot or another large box hardware store for flat hoses. I believe they lay flat while not under pressure. You may be able to fit that sucker under a door or some other easier way to get the hose in the house.

I have the same situation brewing in Chicago. I decided to go to Home Depot and pick up a pond pump so I could recirculate water from a couple buckets in the garage. The good news is all the pond pumps are on clearance and I picked up a decent size one for $25.
Good luck.

The hose idea is obvious, but of course hadn't occurred to me. The pump idea is pretty good too, how many gallons would you estimate it takes to cool 5~ gallons of wort with a 3/8" chiller?

The hose idea is obvious, but of course hadn't occurred to me. The pump idea is pretty good too, how many gallons would you estimate it takes to cool 5~ gallons of wort with a 3/8" chiller?

It usually takes me about 10 to 15 gallons of water that's about 50ish F and I only have a 25' immersion cooler. With a pump and ice in the bucket(s) you could probably do it with much less.

pond pump in tub, fill with water/snow. should chill the wort pretty quickly. If you are short of snow I have about 4' on the ground i could send your way. Don't forget to get your chiller into the warmth as you don't want water in there freezing.

pond pump in tub, fill with water/snow. should chill the wort pretty quickly. If you are short of snow I have about 4' on the ground i could send your way. Don't forget to get your chiller into the warmth as you don't want water in there freezing.

Add salt to the water if you can, it allows it to drop below 32F without getting solid.

Do you guys have any advice to make either setup more workable?
In the long run, I think it's worth dialing in your indoor set-up. Air conditioning in the summer, heat in the winter. The house smells great on brewday and lingers for a few days. Clean working environment with everything you need handy.

I've had a similar question as I'm getting ready to brew this weekend and have already turned off my outside water. So far I think my plan is to just turn the outside water back on while I'm chilling since moving water takes a very long time to freeze. I will then turn the outside water off as soon as I'm done. I don't anticipate any problems but maybe someone here has a horror story to deter me from this method?

In the long run, I think it's worth dialing in your indoor set-up. Air conditioning in the summer, heat in the winter. The house smells great on brewday and lingers for a few days. Clean working environment with everything you need handy.

Long run - this is definitely something I'm interested in, but I've only brewed 7 batches to date so, for now, the simpler (and cheaper) the better. SWMBO has been somewhat supportive so far (even wants me to build a bar when we finish our basement in a year or two) and I plan to keep it that way...

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll probably just run a hose from my house this weekend when I brew - may browse for a pond pump and toy with some of the other suggestions in the future.

Just an update, I brewed in the garage without any problems. Just ran a hose from the kitchen to the garage as a previous poster suggested. I still would rather not have to pay for propane ever couple of batches, but it'll do until I figure out an indoor setup (electric or natural gas). Thanks for all the ideas - glad to have that first all grain batch done - the wheels in my head are turning on ideas to make it smoother next time!

Back