Marathon Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvlheel

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a marathon event.

I brewed Biermuncher's SWMBO Slayer. BIAB - for some reason efficiency was terrible, probably due to crush. O.G. was 10 points low - okay, I'll have a nice session Belgian Blonde.

After 3 weeks fermentation stalled completely at 1.020. I tried everything, and finally racked onto a Nottingham cake. I got mild fermentation, but after 2 weeks, still stalled at 1.018. At this point I'm about to give up, the beer is sweet and thick tasting and I'm really disappointed.

After reading some threads I decide to try Amylase Enzyme purchased from LHBS. I added 2 tsp with little real hope.

Lo and behold, one day later I have a really nice thick krausen formed.

At this point the beer has been fermenting for two months and has seen two different yeasts. I have no idea what to expect, but if I get something drinkable this will be a successful recovery. With my luck it will be the best beer I've ever made and I'll have no idea how to recreate the batch.

Any ideas what to expect? My original issues were probably due to crush and high mash temps yielding a relatively unfermentable wort.

Did you check an FG yet?

The problem with using the amylase is you have no way to control what your FG ends up so the beer could be out of balance. You need some residual sweetness to balance the hop bitterness. I'd guess it will probably be drinkable. Sounds like you learned a lot through the process so go brew it again!

GT

You could always add back a tiny tiny amount of lactose if the FG drops too low.

I thought that amylase was self limiting (as opposed to Beano) and would essentially stop itself and not ferment the beer down to nothing. I read a few threads where folks successfully dropped their gravity 10 points and the fermentation stopped.

If wrong, so be it - I couldn't drink what I had, so I'm willing to take a chance on the final product that I have going now.

Back