Old food.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well not quite but....
What food do you reckon tastes better if left till the day after or even cold out of the fridge for a hangover breakfast?

My all time favourite is a chicken lasagne that I do.
In the morning it comes out like a pie and you can eat it without a knife and fork by the slice.
I love a cold day old curry sandwich as well.

To go with the standard college-flashback response - pizza. Box-conditioned pizza is better than fresh. Also, turkey sandwiches on white bread with gravy and stuffing for days after Thanksgiving......<drool>

Pizza
Lasagna
Chicken Spaghetti
Turkey Sandwiches like Fiery said but with bread and butter pickles
Hamburger Chow Mein
The Stir Fry i make (in fact i'm going to make some later)
Steak Sandwich
French Fries
Hamburgers

I love cold fried chicken - I always order extra so I have some for the next day.

Just about any casserole
Chili
Spaghetti Sauce

I like cold pizza, but it&#8217;s not better than a good hot pie out of the oven

Brats
Hot wings
My wife's italian sausage & peppers (throw in some scrambled eggs for breakfast-YUM)
Salmon (before you go YUCK, try an omelette with salmon & tomatoes)

orfy said:
No thanks, they go soggy. You need to put back in the oven or refry them.

I'm not talking fast food french fries, i'm taking home made french fries using real potatoes... those don't go soggy...

A good bowl of chili. Always better the next day. If it's spicy, not always better the day after on it's way out!

Brewsmith said:
A good bowl of chili. Always better the next day. If it's spicy, not always better the day after on it's way out!

Chili is 10X better the next couple of days. I does age a biit, brings out some good flavors and rounds out the spices.

i always dump cheese and more hot sauce in it :)

I would say chili for sure. Ny all time favorite next day food is the chicken and noodles my mom makes. My parents invited my family over for dinner the other night but we had our going already, so my dad brings some of the left overs to work and it was the chicken and home made noodles.............GOD DAMN those are good the next day!

Almost all stews, soups or chilis are better after the flavors have mingled in the cold. It's always worth it to make chili the night before you're going to eat it.

I prefer my pizza cold right out of the fridge the next day... of course I am blessed with a great pizza place near me, which I am discovering is a luxury that few really have.

You don't want it to "condition" for too long, though. Like that time I ate eggs that were 8 months past the expiration date... :p

(didn't even get sick at all from it though - I've got a cast iron stomach when it comes to "questionable" food)

Home made Onion Bhajis - Nothing beats them cold next day! Except maybe a good helping of revenge......

A tougher question is, what doesn't taste better the second day? Other than fruit and oatmeal.

beer4breakfast said:
All these are examples of items that are better the next day:

All soups, stews, guisos, gumbos, red beans and some other bean and rice dishes. Not cold out of the fridge, but reheated, these help kill hangovers. Menudo with lime and onions is excellent for that.

I think everyone was wondering where Ricky Martin has been.

Spanish Rice is good fresh and re-heated...

homebrewer_99 said:
What's a hangover???:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :confused:

It's when you drink a bunch of swill and your body says I am now in much pain because you have fouled me with this crap...

When you get a 'hangover' from drinking homebrew that's actually everything bad leaving your body at once... that's why it hurts, because everything tries to leave at once...

DeadYetiBrew said:
It's when you drink a bunch of swill and your body says I am now in much pain because you have fouled me with this crap...

When you get a 'hangover' from drinking homebrew that's actually everything bad leaving your body...
I don't get them because I drink several glasses of water prior to going to bed...even when I don't feel like it. You have to fight yourself to get it down sometimes, but you're always grateful in the AM.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I don't get them because I drink several glasses of water prior to going to bed...even when I don't feel like it. You have to fight yourself to get it down sometimes, but you're always grateful in the AM.:D

Ditto, 2 glasses of water, 2 tylenol, 2 antacids... it's the 222 method after the 3 glass method (3 glasses of every type of alcohol in the house)

Meatloaf, between two slices of bread and with plenty of ketchup.

A cold, day-old pork chop makes for an awesome breakfast.

sudsmonkey said:
Beans of any kind!! A big pot of Great Northerns, seasoned to perfection, will be twice as good the next day. The seasoning needs time to set.

I kept waiting for someone to say that. The sauce also thickens up a little. yummy.

Back