Nipped the tip - can it be fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I was checking the temperature of the water in the cooler my carboy full of black IPA is sitting in. I accidentally tapped the tip of the floating thermometer against the carboy and it broke off. Fortunately all the little lead balls fell into the cooler and no beer was harmed.

My questions is, could I put some epoxy sealant on the tip of the thermometer so it is sealed back up and keep using it (it would never go into the wert or carboy)?

Nope. If you lost fluid from the thermometer, it will definitely be out of calibration if you were to try to fix it.

the only thing that seemed to come out of it was the lead beads in the tip. I just thought it might be worth saving - and I guess I am really cheap.

Us cheapskates prefer to call it "Frugal"!

I have an uncle that is beyond frugal.... they only flush their toilet once a day to save money!

Those floating thermometers are horrendous. I recently broke mine. I thought I only lost the weights, but there was something else in there that leaked out. Needless to say...that batch got dumped.

Us cheapskates prefer to call it "Frugal"!

I have an uncle that is beyond frugal.... they only flush their toilet once a day to save money!

One of those families that follow..."if its yellow, let it mellow; if its brown, flush it down" ?

Oh, if the actual thermometer part is ok and you only lost some of the weights that keep it upright, then by all means fix it. Make sure the epoxy or whatever you use can withstand high temps if you use it to measure mash/after-boil wort chilling.

Latest posts

Back