Dunkel recipe, looking ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krunner

Reaction score
Edit: This is for a dunkelweizen, not a munich dunkel (which I wasn't aware was a style :eek: ) Don't mind me the newbie.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.50 gal
Boil Size: 4.01 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 14.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.25 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.10 %
2.25 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 32.61 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 14.49 %
0.40 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5.80 %
0.60 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (45 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

Looked at a lot of dunkel recipes and kind of mixed and matched to come up with this one. Any suggestions for a beginning brewer?

Don't know about the special B, I was deciding between that and a mix of crystal 60 and chocolate for color. I have a full oz of liberty, so I could play with that a bit as far as the hops go.

Once this and my first brew are done and bottled I intend on tweaking them to try and get a handle on what kind of changes bring out different flavors, so I don't have to keep bugging you guys for advice ;) .:eek:

Thats not a Dunkel.

"Dunkelweizen is made from a mixed mash of wheat and barley malts, but unlike a Weissbier, it also contains a large array of lightly to thoroughly caramelized or roasted malts that give it both its color and its complexity"

Could you elaborate? Or is my understanding of a dunkel completely off. What I get from what I've read is that it is comprised of 50-70% wheat malt with either munich or vienna to back it up, with some optional darker barley malts?

Maybe this is an americanized dunkel?

I should. It's a dunkelweizen. Dunkel makes me think Munich dunkel. There is some law that tells Germans not to use wheat in lagers.

A dunkelweizen should be over 50% malted wheat, Pilsner or Vienna malt is not required but can be used. A small amount of a crystal malt like spacial B can be used but not necessary either. 60/40 wheat/munich and a touch of Carafa for color is as simple as it gets.

As for you recipe I think less special B (four ounces at the most) and more wheat in different percentages to get to your OG.

Whoops, I did indeed mean a dunkelweizen. :eek:

So with the combination of pale and dark wheat it should put me in the clear for a dunkelweizen?

Edit: Thanks for the suggestions :mug:, time for a little tweaking.

Back