Boil Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
I got my new 10 g megapot from Northern Brewer today :rockin:
I can get 8 gallons of water to boil on my electric stove in a little less than 2 hours. Is this sufficient for all-grain or are there negative consequences to taking this long to reaching boiling temp? (The water was at 60 F and I suspect the boiling point of wort will be lower than water)

You can pick up a turkey fryer for like 30 bucks and it will drastically reduce your boil time.

I have an outside setup for boiling, and I have a covered patio,
but I was always worried about debris blowing into the pot. My electric stove boils 2.5 gallons pretty quickly, so should I only worry about a fast boil when I move up to PM or AG?

There isn't really anything wrong with taking that long to come to boil (that I know of), but like special hops said for a few bucks you can drastically reduce your time. Two hours just to get up to a boil makes for a very long brewday. Pick up a propane burner, move your operation outside, and enjoy the good life.

Congrats on the new pot sounds like its nice.

Cheers

Eskimo Spy - Most of the people on the site brew outdoors with no problems whatsoever. As for debris blowing into your pot as long as your not getting huge chunks of stuff you should be fine.

Now, during cooling and when you transfer into your fermenter that is when you want to take some extra precautions. I use a lot of santized tin foil to cover openings during this time and I also carry around a spray bottle of no-rinse santizer such as idophor or star-san.

Coming to fast boil is not as important as a good boil, IMO. You want a good vigorous, rolling boil and if your electric stove achieves that and you are o.k. with waiting to come to boil than stick with what you're doing. If you have the equipment to brew outdoors, whether its extract, pm, or ag, I say take it outside.

Cheers

Back