Automated Boil Kettle on single tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
Building a single tier brewery and I’m going back and forth on using a third controller for the brew kettle. Why or why not automate the boil kettle to maintain temp? Anyone have photos of a rig automating all three?

Thanks

I have a toolbox build and I use the MLT pid on the brew kettle when it's time to boil. I just switch to manual mode and to go 72% of full power (5500 ulwd element) That works fine for me.

Currently I simply leave the MLT thermocouple connected to the PID. Since I'm going in manual mode I don't need the temperature gauge, but you do have to leave one connected or the PID faults.

top-59603.jpg

What I’m thinking is why not have the boil kettle automated just like HLT and MLT? Having the boil kettle burner kick off and on to maintain a boil at 212, would it kick off and on too often or is it best to have the boil kettle manually controlled?

Nickeldeposit,

Temp control doesn't work for boiling, as boiling occurs at 212F/100C, regardless of how much energy you're dumping into the pot.
I.E., I have a boiler that will maintain a boil (at 212) at 45% power of the element. It will also maintain a boil (also at 212) at 100% power. Boiling at 212 is a constant (altitude/pressure arguments aside). You can control how vigorous the boil is, but not the temperature of the boil.

I have a toolbox build and I use the MLT pid on the brew kettle when it's time to boil. I just switch to manual mode and to go 72% of full power (5500 ulwd element) That works fine for me.
Using a controller for the boil kettle is a great idea, but you have to change its mode of operation, as in the quoted post.

I use temp control in my boil kettle while I am sparging. I set it to 200. Once I finish sparging I switch to manual mode and bring it to a boil at 100% then I lower it to 65% for the rest of the boil.

Back