recipe w/willamette crystal and cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
hey guys, I'm trying to build a american pale ale recipe using some bulk hops that I have on hand. I have a pound of willamette, crystal and cascade to use in the recipe. So far I have I've come up with 2 row pale malt, a little vienna, and medium crystal for the grain bill, and I was thinking maybe cascade for bittering, willamette at about 20 min and 5 min., and then crystal and cascade at 0 min. All and all I want about 37 IBUS with alot of late addition hops for a huge hop flavor. Does this loose hop schedule look ok? Or would you play the three different varieties different in this recipe? I don't want to dry hop this beer either, just all late addition boil hops. Thanks for any info.

I've never used crystal hops before, but your plan looks good to me. 2 row pale, vienna, and some crystal malt makes a great grain bill for an APA. From what I've read about crystal hops, using them with the cascade at 0 minutes should give you that aroma you're looking for. If you go through with this plan, let us know how it turns out. I've been working on different hop combinations for APAs, and I've been wondering how willamette would complement something like cascade.

crystal is a mild hops, so that might be a good combo. i use a willamette/cascade combo in my apa's, and they seem to be popular come tap-time

Wondering if you brewed the cascade Willamette combo and how it turned out?

Back