Converting Unmalted Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainbrew82

Reaction score
We are preparing to do a Wit Guy White Ale recipe from Radical Brewing using a the double mash - one malt mash and one cereal mash. But when buying grain in our LHBS, we combined our grist bill so we now have unmalted white wheat combined and can't do our double mash.

Now that all our grains are combined. What do we do because we have the unmalted wheat in the grain bill?

In Radical Brewing there is a a cheater's mash suggesting to use a single infusion, but it does not contain the unmalted wheat.

We are looking for advice on how to get the unmalted wheat to convert properly.

Thanks.

I used a 50/50 of pale malt and unmalted red wheat. I did a single infusion and let it sit an extra half hour. Seemed to convert fine.

I would have thought your LHBS would have known better than that!

Maybe you'll have to 'ignore' your unmalted wheat in the mash portion and add additional wheat for your cereal portion. My understanding is that the unmalted wheat will not convert at mash temps. Dunno.

I used a 50/50 of pale malt and unmalted red wheat. I did a single infusion and let it sit an extra half hour. Seemed to convert fine.

I use a lot of unmalted wheat and this is the method I use. I always skip cereal mash and just do a single infusion with an extended rest. The only downside you might have with the two being mixed could be the crush. I usually crush my wheat finer than the malt.

Thanks for your replies. I will hold the mash at 148 for 90 minutes.
I have the same thoughts as NealPerkins, that unmalted grains wont convert at mash temps. Can anyone help to explain?

Back