Worried Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulfson

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I currently have a Coconut Porter in my secondary, to be bottled on Monday. It had about 1lb of toasted coconut added to it when racking to secondary. I happened to remove the stopped to smell it today and it smelled strongly of banana, more like banana bread. The fermentation/secondary temp never got above 65.

Is this the coconut that is happening to give this smell? Do I have anything to worry about?

Thank You

If your temps are low like you say, then its probably related to your strain of yeast. Give it some time to condition and the smells should subside and it probably won't be apparent in the final product.

There are several yeast strains that smell like banana during fermentation, and have no banana flavor when done. It's just an ester produced during fermentation. I've had wyeast 1056/ WL California ale do it before, and the beers turned out great. As long as you avoid going above 70 deg you'll be fine.

odds are its the yeast. i have made beers before that do not typically give off a yeast aroma, however when i fermented with it it did, and after bottling and conditioning it went away. i emailed wyest with this info and they said that smells during fermentation are one thing, its a totaly different issue if things smell after bottling

What yeast did you use?

Gary

I used London Ale III - Wyeast Labs #1318

Thank you everybody for answering. I am planning on leaving these bottled for probably about 4 weeks before tasting. Assuming the coconut does not mellow out too much within that time frame.

the belgian dubbel made in october stunk like permanent markers and bananas..well that leveled off and after a few weeks in the bottle smells and tastes great just like a dubbel should

Latest posts

Back