yeast washing! using as a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
How do you know if your yeast is good after you wash and store it? How exactly do you use it as a starter? Do you add this to your next packet of yeast or is it used all by its self?

I know the reasons are money savings, but Is it worth putting a corrupted bottle of yeast into a newly brewed batch of beer? Any ones thoughts!

BTW I am washing my yeast from today, I am mainly doing it for the practice and experience so that If I choose to do this in the future I'll have the know how. Followed all the rules by boiling my mason jars and cooled them to room temp now just waiting for the yeast to seperate.:)

You would wash the yeast split it up into smaller batches then use one to make a starter. If the starter shows activity you know its good.

You would not need to combine with new yeast. So long as it is properly washed and stored, its basically new yeast.

You can use the yeast slurry calculator on Mr malty to estimate how many yeast cells you have and then use that figure to plan your yeast starter. On the day you make a starter you would decant bring to pitching temp then add to the starter.

How do you know if your yeast is good after you wash and store it? How exactly do you use it as a starter? Do you add this to your next packet of yeast or is it used all by its self?

I know the reasons are money savings, but Is it worth putting a corrupted bottle of yeast into a newly brewed batch of beer? Any ones thoughts!

BTW I am washing my yeast from today, I am mainly doing it for the practice and experience so that If I choose to do this in the future I'll have the know how. Followed all the rules by boiling my mason jars and cooled them to room temp now just waiting for the yeast to seperate.:)

There's a good faq on this on the "yeast" forum.

Rick

Thanks, Is it possible to get an infection in the yeast?

Yes, you need to be very clean and sanitize everything. Keep everything covered and don't expose to air until you have to. Remember there are bad things floating in the air all the time. Do your transfers in a sanitary place free of drafts that may bring in contaminants.

Back