cap'n crunch wheat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So my friend and i got to talking about random beer ideas. one that stuck with me was doing a simple wheat beer and add in cap'n crunch. so... how does this sound?
i've been on an extract kick lately for smaller experimental beers (under the 5g mark) so this one should get to around 3ish gallons.

4 gallon pre boil

4lbs wheat LME
.5oz hallertau @60
.5oz sazz @20

Safbrew WB-06

should come in around 4-5%abv and around 20IBU

empty about a half of a box of cap'n crunch and use them as the steeping grains.

after fermentation, dump about 3-4 cups of cap'n crunch to "dry hop" the beer for a few days.

How does something like this sound? any ideas?
i know i'd lose some wort due to the absorbtion of the cereal, but this is more experemental then anything :mug:

Ha, that's awesome. I'd put the "dry crunch" in a bag though, I bet it would break apart into some nasty sludge. Not sure if you'd get any flavor from the crunch, it's mostly sugar tasting? I say go for it, let us know how it goes.

Subscribed.

I've been contemplating using cereal in a brew for a while, but I haven't pulled the trigger. Although I was thinking about using it in the mash. Thought about a Cocoa Krispie sweet stout or a Fruity Pebble Pale Ale. I thought about cap'n crunch too, but I couldn't think of a good style to go with it. Wheat would probably work better than any other. I don't know if I'd "dry hop" with it for fear that it would turn to complete mush. There's also a surprising amount of oil in cap'n crunch. That may be a concern too. I'll be curious to hear how this turns out.

Here's some more information from a previous thread too.

Here's another more recent one as well.

My buddy is going to do the same think for an Irish beer with lucky charms and call it.. Wait for it...

Magically delicious.

alright, looks like this is a go for this weekend possibly.

i'll let you know how it all turns out lol :mug:

now that i think about it... how would lactose fare in this?

:edit: n/m, too little coffee this morning

I remember there being a recipe in some book for like a grape nuts beer. Were you going to add it post fermentation? I wonder if the preservatives would mess with the yeast at all.

i'm going to add in it during the boil/steeping grains (still haven't decided, prolly will just leave them in during the boil). and after fermentation to hopefully keep some aroma around.

and @lou2row. LOL! maybe this beer will soothe past memories or sliced up mouths of our past

i'm going to add in it during the boil/steeping grains (still haven't decided, prolly will just leave them in during the boil). and after fermentation to hopefully keep some aroma around.

and @lou2row. LOL! maybe this beer will soothe past memories or sliced up mouths of our past

I have actually had some of my favorite cereal from my youth recently. They brought back Quisp, and I was thinking that it had a lot of flavors that would work in a beer.

So - this was brewed finally.

did a 10g batch of wheat

6lb 2 row
12lb white wheat

.5 CTZ @60
.25 lemon drop @30
1oz lemon drop @15
1.75oz lemon drop @flame out

did M20 bavarian yeast in 1 5g batch
other half got us-05

the half with US-05 got a 14oz box of cap'n crunch (didn't realize, a whole huge box of cereal was that light...)

0521151851_zps9tr52xoi.jpg

0521151852a_zps6f6agnjw.jpg

0521151854a_zpstgarqlzz.jpg

You get points for getting a round tuit. ;) I hope it turns out good; or at least interesting.

Three weeks ago I brewed a cream ale with a whole big box of Cornflakes in the mash. It smelled amazing in the kettle; I can't wait to try it. But the amount of sediment in the carboy is kind of shocking. I really hope it packs down, but don't expect it to at this point. (it's up to the 1 gallon mark, and it's only a 4 gallon batch)

Yikes! That is one hell of a trub monster! maybe cold crash it longer? best of luck! although i dont expect much difference in this one LOL i checked on it yesterday and the top half of the pile of cereal wasn't even damp... crazy stuff

well.. kegged it last night - tastes like.. cap'n crunch... i wouldn't change a thing on this other then doing crunch berries next time.

awesome.

this is frickin awesome!
I wonder if the peanut butter crunch would work well..maybe in a porter or stout

this is frickin awesome!
I wonder if the peanut butter crunch would work well..maybe in a porter or stout

I made a PB stout with 2 boxes of capn crunch and 2 jars of PB2 in the fermentor. Turned out pretty well. I added the cereal in the mash, nto sure how much it added to the OG. But supposedly the sheer amount of preservatives in teh stuff helps the PB flavor survive the boil and fermentation

You might be able to accomplish something similar by adding high fructose corn syrup in the boil and corn sugar to prime... just sayin!

(dang, that looks good. Don't make me challenge you with Fruity Pebbles. Major Props for the experiment.)

Back