speical ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bird

Reaction score
hey what's up. my name is bird and I got a email sayin I should probably post. I've been reading a lot on this forum so Its about time I say something. There are a bunch of us who collectively brew beer in my town. It's so fun and tasty. we have recently tried some good ingredients. We have been using lavender in some beers. we brewed a lavender I.P.A. and we just had a stout come in. It's really yumy. we put baking cocoa in the brew and dry hopped some lavender later. lavender cocoa stout. It Is realy good. one thing about lavender we have found is that you don't need very much. We also had a belgian style come in and it was good too. We put cinnamon in the brew and dry hopped fresh apples in it. This beer is sooo good. It was really light and had a cider like feel to it. I recently made my own hazelnut extract and put it in a hazelnut brown ale. not sure if the hazelnut is going to come through but I hope it does. some other things I'm going to try is chapolte powder and also soaking oak chips in whiskey to make a bourbon stout. Any of ya'll got some interesting ingredients that have/havn't worked well?

Sounds fascinating to me! I was just eyeballing the Radical Brewing book. Don't see the point of mak'n it yourself if you don't do funny things to the recipe every now and then.

orfy said:
Welcome.

Interesting but not my style. I like my beer to taste like beer.
If I want food tastes I eat food. :mug:

EACism at its finest....well maybe not finest, I guess the "welcome." and mugs make it alright.
Welcome bird, sounds like you make some interesting beer. I used grapefruit peel in one of my brews, it is too strong now so I'm hoping it will mellow. I'll be trying hazelnut flavoring soon in a brew that is designed to resemble Rogues Hazelnut Brown Ale.

welcome to the forums. those are some interesting brews. I'd be afraid to experiment that 'radically' right now, but its cool you made something drinkable...especially if it was damn tastey!

landhoney said:
I'll be trying hazelnut flavoring soon in a brew that is designed to resemble Rogues Hazelnut Brown Ale.

I've yet to try a hazelnut brew that I liked (all commercial). Wierd too because I like hazelnuts themselves.

A lavender IPA sounds pretty interesting though. Its kind of funny, I had just craked an IPA yesterday while sitting next to a big stalk of freshly cut oriental lillies, and I remarked to the GF about how interesting the combination of the cascade hops and lily fragrance was. If only....

Welcome bird. Keep up the crazy experiments.

Not to hijack the thread, but I recently made a hazelnut brown, I recommend using the organic hazelnut extract from whole foods. I used a 2 oz. bottle and it was suprisingly not overwhelming. It was less hazelnut flavor than Rogue, but it allowed the malt flavor to come through.

hey thanx for the responses. I think I might like this forum thing.
I have had the rouge hazelnut brown before too. I liked it and I usually don't like the malty beers as much as the bitter IPA or the really roasty stout. I liked rouge's. Here is my experience making hazelnut extract.
I decided not to use hazelnut extract bought from the store because I didn't want the beer to come out sweet. I bought some filberts, which I guess are hazelnuts. I bought two 2.5 ounce bags, I roasted them in the oven for a half hour or so. then the outside of the nuts peel off...so you can just rub them between your hands and the outside falls off. then I crushed them with a hammer and put them in a grain bag in a quart of water on the stove. I kept the temp at around 150 to 160 because I worried about tannin getting extracted. I check it after a half hour, then at an hour I noticed a big change...at an hour and a half I noticed even more change so I let it sit in there for over three hours. It was really roasty and hazel nutty. next time I might boil it down with the nuts not in it to see how consintrated I can get it. I think I'm going to add more hazelnut extract when I bottle it. I think I may experiment with other nuts too...... thinking almonds?!

I might smell an experiment? Well I just did a sugar experiement....maybe I'll try a hazelnut experiment.
1. Hazelnut extract from morebeer.com - purchased already
2. Hazelnut extact ala bird's recipe
3. Organic hazelnut extract from WholeFoods ala the Proffesor

Make the batch and split into thirds at bottling time( I think this is the recommended time for this extract) and add the different extracts to each and see which is best(subjectively). I like the idea of making my own or using organic, I only use real fruit for beer why use fakey hazelnut extract(although I'm not sure how good the stuff I bought is yet). No promises though.
Thanks for the tips Bird and ProfFrink - my motto is hijack away!

olllllo said:
I think it would be really funny if you posted 7,735 or more times over the weekend and got a Uecker avatar, but that's just me.

I'm not sure he's going to get that, but I do. :D I thought maybe he was 'the_bird' making a joke at first.

Back