growing hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
I've been giving some thought to growing my own hops. We live in a low-lying, warm area (read: swamp :D) that grows just about anything really well. (Lord knows the kudzu and Virginia Creeper grow like they're on steriods!!)

But I read somewhere that they're pretty poisonous, especially to dogs. Any truth to this? That would be a large concern, as I've grown kinda fond of my 100# lab...

They are poisonous to dogs. In fact, when I got my dog from the SPCA in January, they gave me a piece of paper that listed things that you might not think about that are poisonous to pets. Hops were listed under the "dog" section on that handout.

I've got a hyper boxer to be concerned about, so I'm going to plant my hops with a small fence around them to keep the hound out.

Good job I have my raspberries in front of them and they grow up my trees.
I have to climb the the trees to get the hops. (next week)

Thanks for the info though. I'll make sure the dogs don't eat the hops or drink the beer. Only fair they won't let me eat their food.

I have a dog and I grow hops, the dog seems to stay away from them....so I wouldn't worry but it might just depend on the dog.

I think it is only certain breeds that are really susceptible to being harmed though. I know I've read hops are greyhound killers for sure.

My dogs won't have anything to do with the hops, so I'm confident enough to have them around without the bastiges eating them.

What is it in the hop plant that can kill them that is not in beer? I ask because Professor Flash (my lab spaniel mix) can drink a couple beers and be as happy as ever.

granted they are BMC beers.

If i am out grilling and set my beer on a table edge or someplace he can reach he will knock it over onto the ground and enjoy the sweet sweet nectar, and then stare at me until i either go inside or give him more.

Dude,

How did your variety of hops do in the humid VA summer? Should I stay away from a particular kind? My yard doesn't appear to drain very well and the humid summers worry me.

You guys worry too much, relax. I started growing hops last year and have had great luck. I may be in NY where you may think it doesnt get hot and humid but that thinking would be wrong. My soil is solid clay about 12 inches down but I do have good topsoil. When it rains, the water sits on top until it runs off. My hops have done very well in these conditions. I had a few of the Cascade plants reach 20 feet their first year and put out a nice amount of hops. If you are concerned about being able to grow them, try a few plants, their cheap enough so if they dont live, so be it, at least you know. Try out a mildew resistant plant first and go from there. I started out with Cascade, Nugget and Pearl and plan to add more this spring.

Walker-san said:
I've got a hyper boxer to be concerned about, so I'm going to plant my hops with a small fence around them to keep the hound out.

I feel your pain on the hyper boxers

4538-post.jpg

I also plan on builing a fence, a tall fence. These boxers jump high!

Back