Chocolate Cherry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruit in Beer Manlaw

• No Fruit in Beer Ever, the Reinheitsgebot has spoken

• Maybe a lemon in my Hefeweizen, on occasion

• Put whatever you want in beer, life's too short for absolute rules

Results are only viewable after voting.

brewitall

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP011
Yeast Starter
Opt
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
lt. red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Chocolate Cherry Wheat
Fruit Beer

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/16/2007
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: Dan
Boil Size: 6.40 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.3 %
4 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 28.6 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
1.00 oz Cascade [6.40%] (60 min) Hops 16.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (2 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
1.00 cup Bakers Chocolate (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
1.00 cup Bakers Chocolate (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 lb Cherries (Boil 2.0 min) Misc
10.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal Seattle, WA Water
1 Pkgs European Ale (White Labs #WLP011) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 20.9 IBU Calories: 245 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
Sparge Water: 3.71 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 60.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 17.50 qt of water at 133.6 F 122.0 F 30 min
Saccharification Heat to 158.0 F over 15 min 158.0 F 30 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Mash Notes: Used RIMS for Mash Heat Control

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 8.2 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 37.0 F Age for: 21.0 days
Storage Temperature: 37.0 F

Notes

Mash for a full bodied beer, while the starch conversion is taking place bring the cherries to 180 degrees in a seperate pot with a gallon of water and physically mash them with a potato masher just enough to make sure they can release their full flavor. Add to sanitized fermentor, I have a conical, so this is easy, otherwise I would use a plastic bucket for the primary then rack to a carboy after a week. I've also just mashed the cherries very well to get gallon of cherry juice to add to a carboy with good results.

The coco powder adds bitterness to the beer that goes nicely with the hops. Age to taste, although I have trouble waiting to drink this one.

The coco powder can be a pain to clean out of your keg if it stays in there a long time. But well worth a couple days of soaking with TSP for this brew.

:tank:

How did this turn out? Did you really boil the cherries for 2mins in the wort?
I've always heard of either adding them to the primary/secondary.

You're correct, should say steep 2 minutes to sanatize, then add to primary fermenter.

It wasn't good this time. Too acidic and thin, I don't know if I had a mash problem or too many fermentables due to the cherries.

I made a heavenly batch of this using this recipie two years ago, and haven't been able to reproduce it since. But I'm going to keep trying.

did you add all 10gms of gypsum to the mash water or divide in any way with the sparge water?

The poster of this recipe hasn't been active since July, so you might not get an answer.

I'm betting he added the gypsum due to water quality issues. If you have good tap water or use bottled water, the gypsum will not be necessary.

I've been rebuilding my Volvo and traveling extensively overseas in the last year, so my homebrewing has temporarily ceased.

However we have excellent water quality in North Bend, see the many fine brews produced in the Pacific Northwest from municiple or well water.

I believe I added the calcium sulfate as a buffer to counter the slightly acidic contribution of pasturized fresh bing cherries.

I've been rebuilding my Volvo and traveling extensively overseas in the last year, so my homebrewing has temporarily ceased.

However we have excellent water quality in North Bend, see the many fine brews produced in the Pacific Northwest from municiple or well water.

I believe I added the calcium sulfate as a buffer to counter the slightly acidic contribution of pasturized fresh bing cherries.

I just revived the dead, I am GOD!!!:rockin:

You're pretty good, but to officially become a god you'll need to tell me how to finish a complete engine rebuild, launch a IP integration project in Bogota and have a keg of IPA ready to go for New Years Eve.

Please submit in your Gantt Chart in MS Project.

Note: Extra points for offering to either build the engine or brew the beer for me.

Cheers

just curious - why not ditch the baker's choc and just use choc malt instead? it may provide less of a bite esp. when using fresh (and tart tannin toting) bing cherries. let's face it, I like drinking Manhattans because they are malty & tart. Malts make the world go-round, so why not pass on the pantry approach and go for the grist-o instead?

food for thought. thanks for the post. happy new year!

Back