Spontaneous fermentation <24 hours after campden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyonsAudio

Reaction score
I pressed ~10 gallons of white (himrod) grapes yesterday.

Did a rough filter off the press and put them into a 5 gallon and 4 1 gallon carboy and added 1 tab campden per gallon to each.

I went into the brew closet tonight to check on it and the 5 gallon is bubbling at a good pace and the other look not far behind.

What do I do now? I didn't adjust for TA or PH yet or pitch yeast.

More campden to stop it? Pitch yeast to try and cover or just let it go?

Thanks in advance!

dont add more campden, I would just let it rip, if it fizzles out early add the yeast.

The smell off the stuff smells fine so I'll see what it does. I did already bring the sugar up to 1.080 (calculated, juice was 1.054, added sugar to a calculated 1.080)

Fingers crossed.

nah those things will last forever especailly if they were tablets..

Most commercial strains of yeast the amateurs have access to will compete with and knock-off any other active yeasts...just something to consider.

you could add the yeast but if its already going good, then its probably the natural yeast from the grapes, in this case it could turn out good, i would just let it go, if its a slow ferment then i would add the yeast if its fast one then id let it go.

Back