Mash temp, perceived sweetness and FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you brewed 2 batches exactly the same except one having a higher mash temp you would have a sweeter beer, but would the FG be higher too?
Do unfermentable sugars raise the measured gravity?

I ask because I brewed an IIPA that measured 1.009, but tastes far sweeter than I would expect.

In short, yes. "Longer chained" sugars are produced by higher mash temps, and tend to create a higher FG when the beer is finished.

If a beer tastes sweet at 1.009 (which is a pretty "dry" reading for beer), the beer is probably underbittered and NOT underattenuated.

I'd look at the SG/IBU ratio, and consider that the bittering in that beer is lacking. A 1.009 beer should taste a bit thin, crisp, and dry.

If you brewed 2 batches exactly the same except one having a higher mash temp you would have a sweeter beer, but would the FG be higher too?
Do unfermentable sugars raise the measured gravity?

I ask because I brewed an IIPA that measured 1.009, but tastes far sweeter than I would expect.

yes, FG would be higher.

yes, unfermentable sugars remain "unfermented" and thus contribute a higher density than alcohol which causes your FG to remain high.

1.009 and sweet? that sounds really, really dry to me for an IIPA. sounds to me like your beer could use more hops or IBUs to be more specific.

Back