Beginners question about adding youy yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMBARON

Reaction score
When i add the yeast to the wort I've been told to fold the yeast into the wort is this right or how do i do it

Dry yeast need to be rehydrated. Liquid yeast need starters. After you have done either or, pour it in and give it a stir. easy as pie

I wouldn't say dry yeast NEEDs to be rehydrated or liquid yeast NEEDs a starter but they are better practices then just pitching them directly into the wort.

I have brewed many batches pitching dry yeast right on top of the wort without stirring and the beer turns out fine. The yeast knows what to do once it is in the beer.

Pitching a dry yeast packed directly into your wort results in about a 50% fatality rate. Sure, your beer will probably come out OK, but it's a lot better to rehydrate in water first.

Folding is just a fancy word, just pour it in and give it a stir. Or in my case, I pour it in then hook up my mini paddle to my drill and ever so gently mix the living shyt out of it, I make it look like an F5 tornado in there, gently of course. ;)

Folding is just a fancy word, just pour it in and give it a stir. Or in my case, I pour it in then hook up my mini paddle to my drill and ever so gently mix the living shyt out of it, I make it look like an F5 tornado in there, gently of course. ;)

No, you really need to introduce the boy yeast to the girl yeast. I like to schedule a mixer. First I send them all invitations ( email works well) then I rent a tiny dance hall, hire a wedding band, and install the disco ball. Be sure to have plenty of alcohol avaolable (beer works well, open bar is preferred) and be sure to have a MC that is good at directing party games. :D

Latest posts

Back