In Austin for the "Day Job" Here are my plans!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
One of the benefits of working for a large company is that occasionally I get to travel.

This time around, Im in Austin, and here are my plans!

Austin Home Brew

Just have to make a stop there....

Shiner Brewery

its an hour away, but I have some free time on friday, so I'll make the drive out and check it out!

Congress Street Bridge Bats

Already have a ticket to see this, sounds really cool.

What else should I definitely check out with a bit of free time on evenings.

Live music and a real taco on a SOFT corn tortilla. As a Sooner those are the only things I am obliged to give Austin credit for.:)

Shiner is a LONG way out. It is a very boring tour. They show you the lab through a window, then they show you to the top of the kettle and mash tun (I mean, you can't even look in) and then you watch the bottling line for a few minutes. They also only do tours on certain days.

Maybe Real Ale or a closer brewery would have a better tour.

Real Ale has a great tour, I would highly suggest hitting it over Shiner. Their website would be the best place to start, but from memory, Real Ale has a Tour every Friday afternoon that starts at 3pm. As a plus it's a great drive out in the Hill Country and you wouldn't be too far from The Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood on your way back. Then you can hit the bats when you roll back into town.

I would think Real Ale would be a good choice as well.

And by all means, do not miss good Texas BBQ within an hour of Austin. Luling (City Market), or Lockhart (Smitty's Market, one of the coolest BBQ dives in the world or Kreuz Market). Many others in Austin but these places are legendary. Brisket is king down here!

Real ale it is!

As to BBQ, the joint around the corner from the office is Rudys, which is pretty damn good.

Another reason why I love HBT, all this help and input!

Cheers, and pics will be a coming!

You should definitely check out the Black Star Co-op Brewpub, the world's first of its kind. It's not far from Austin Homebrew Supply, but it is only open in the afternoons/evenings.

http://www.blackstar.coop/

Also check out NXNW and/or Uncle Billy's Brew & Que for good food and great beer.

http://www.nxnwbrew.com/

http://www.unclebillysaustin.com/

There are a number of breweries that are actually in town, but the tours tend to be on weekends only. Check out Live Oak, Independence, Thirsty Planet, Jester King, (512) Brewing ... at least one of them might be open to the public during the week.

And if you have time for a movie, I gotta give a shout out to the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. Catch a movie with table service food and beer. There are several locations in town, but the one up north (Lake Creek) has a pretty epic beer selection on draft.

http://www.drafthouse.com/

Welcome to our town and have fun!

shawnbou took my suggestions. I was going to suggest Real Ale and 512, and catching a show at Alamo.

on tap at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar right now, Moylan's Tipperary Pale Ale, DFH Red & White, and Boulevard Seeyoulator. Also, i'd recommend stopping by Whip-In, or the Bar Lamar at Whole Foods Market downtown, you can get growlers of local beers at each. 64oz growler of Live Oak Hefe for $10 (at WFM)... can't beat that. And there should be bottles of Jester King's Black Metal & Wytchmaker around town.

Check out Draught House. It's a great bar with a rotating selection of house brews.

Check out Draught House. It's a great bar with a rotating selection of house brews.
That's another good idea. Don't confuse the "Draught House" bar with the "Alamo Drafthouse" cinema. Both are worth going to. :D

jarod7736 - Thanks for the tip on DFH Red & White at South Lamar. I'll be there tonight!

a few tips

Real Ale is only on friday, so if you have to work, it's REAL unlikely unless you can half day it on Friday.

512, Independence, Live Oak breweries are all in town, as opposed to RA and Shiner being in the sticks more.

Whip In, Black Star Coop, Billys on Burnett are all in town and have great local and regional selections.

And Draught House - was not purposely removed!

Damn, Im going to need a few extra days to catch all this beer goodness!

Lots of ideas, now to make some of them happen.

The question, I've got Price Waterhouse Cooper auditors with me, auditing our Texas business unit... which of all these places will be good to take them for a beer and some decent grub?

The question, I've got Price Waterhouse Cooper auditors with me, auditing our Texas business unit... which of all these places will be good to take them for a beer and some decent grub?
NXNW has a bit more of an upscale vibe than some of the other places listed in the thread, especially the food. That should impress the auditors. :D

According to Taplister... Opal Devine's has (512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter and Live Oak Hefe. two Austin beers that I would highly recommend. (even the 512 Pecan Porter, bu the Whiskey Barrel aged is even better)

Back