The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cape Brewing said:
Used to quite a bit but havent been on my bike in forever. Wouldn't mind getting back on my bike but the magic issue is always time. I don't have time to take a dump never mind getting back into downhilling. I have a pile of hobbies as it is.

I hear ya about the hobbies! Brewing, biking, skiing, and DIY within all those hobbies…

paulthenurse said:
What's the DIY part of skiing? Waxing a couple times a year? That must take up a ton of your time!

Sharpening and waxing are the basics. Making your own skis is a hobby. A 4 ton press and some old ski molds from a defunked ski company will get you started.

Sharpening and waxing are the basics. Making your own skis is a hobby. A 4 ton press and some old ski molds from a defunked ski company will get you started.

OK, we gotta talk. I ski, but building my own skis is not something that interests me. HOWEVER! I fly rockets. BIG rockets. Tripoli level 3 certified. I've done many methods to make composite components. Carbon fiber, foam, glass, wood all used...Somehow I am thinking that ski making technology could be adapted here. Fin cans? Nosecones? hmmm....

For those who still dont know, this is what a level 3 launch looks like, and yes, this is a very technical and DIY hobby:

This was NOT my rocket, but I used the same PML Ultimate Endeavor design, and upscaled it for my L3 cert. I flew a Hypertek M hybrid motor in it. I used duplicate altimeters and radio controlled backup for deployment. I have tape. Ugg, tape! of my cert. I gotta digitalize it someday for posterity.

This is what a Hypertek M looks like at launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a big enough motor to launch Pauly?

proton01_01.jpg

Hmmm... maybe they've got two.

I'll give you 50 bucks if you put a little extra gas in the tank of one of those bad Larry's and let us strap Yeager to it.

Is there a big enough motor to launch Pauly?

Make that $100

As much as I would love to oblige all of you, there are these pesky rules about launching vertibrates. I know, right? Besides, it would prolly cost 20 times that amount in motors and electronics alone to compensate for the extra weight.

barneygumble said:
I wanna boink her in front of my swmbo. She's my free pass. Does this make me a bad person?

Really Zoey? I'd do her but it more like my sister kinda thing. Creepy.

barneygumble said:
Sweet! Have you posted pics of the build?

Not yet. I'm documenting it though and there will be photos.

Here's one
image-2391437017.jpg
I ran out of steel to finish and fine tune burner height. I did get the pumps mounted, ordered castors, and cut what steel I had left. Have a small parts list left.

barneygumble said:
Looking foreward to seeing the rest! How is it gonna be controlled?

It's all manual for now. I do have a control box but don't know if or how I'll mount it. When I finish this week I'll create a thread and go into detail.

Cape Brewing said:
You're gonna run a diagonal across the back and the sides right?

If you don't, once you put a couple of full pots on it, it'll scissor on you and fold up.

I wasn't planning on it. All the other rigs I've seen don't have any. Some do have corner plates. I've tighten the bolts and that thing isn't moving. I may add the corner braces but wasn't planning on it.

I'm sorry, Dakota, all I can think of when I see that kind of setup is this:

ErectorSetBox.jpg

I'm of the opinion that you cannot build something too robustly. Tell you what, have Paulie take a seat on it; if it doesn't buckle, you're good to go.

On a serious note, though, I'd be worried that it's "strong enough" right now but it might not be by the end of a hour-long boil. You're going to be adding a lot of heat to the metal, not sure how much it would impact it's strength but it's got to have SOME effect. Overbuild.

the_bird said:
I'm sorry, Dakota, all I can think of when I see that kind of setup is this:

I'm of the opinion that you cannot build something too robustly. Tell you what, have Paulie take a seat on it; if it doesn't buckle, you're good to go.

That's absolutely the thought! A few other threads have mentioned this same thing.

I do understand the overbuild for safety thing and will add some rigidity support for the "scissor" effect.

It's not funny but I can't stop giggling... Anyone see the news about the al-Qaida leader dude that the CIA just iced in Yemen yesterday or the day before?? He was supposedly responsible for the bombing of the USS Cole.

I have read the AP release a dozen times and giggle every time at this actual line, "Fahd al-Quso was hit by a missile as he stepped out of his vehicle,"

CIA got permission from the Yemeni government, flew a freakin drone over this dude's head which I am sure was completely invisible to anyone on the ground, watched this guy and then as he stepped out of his car, hit him in the freakin chest with a missile.

CIA... AIN'T.... PLAYIN'!!!

Back