Dry hopping with pellets.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
Is it ok to dry hop with hop pellets instead of whole leaf hops? Is there a difference? Just curious.

Will the hop pellet fragments settle out in the secondary? If so how long does it take?

or is some filtering required?

Every time I do this, I find the hops break apart and float on the top. All I do is when I'm transferring from secondary to keg/bottling bucket, I tie a hop straining bag over the end of the tubing the beer is coming out from. It filters the beer very nicely.:mug:

I've done it a couple times, I've had my nylon get clogged over the racking cane when I went to rack it to the bottling bucket. I think if I use pellet for dry hopping again I will consider putting the hops in some sort of bag or sock or nylon with a marble or two.

I've had great luck with this. The key is to wrap the cloth loosely in several layers so there is greater surface area and less likelihood of getting clogged.

Paint strainers from Lowes ($1.50 each) and some small zip ties.

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

david_the_greek said:
would wrapping the hops in the nylon before hand not allow the hops to be fully utilized?
Popular opinion is that the pellets swell up so much, that unless you had a really big bag, they would compact enough to lower the efficiency.

That, and they're a bit of a pain to retrieve through the neck of a carboy.

That said, I use a large (5 gallon) paint strainer bag, sanitized marbles and whole hops to dry hop now. But I do it in my bucket.

Back