What style is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevFry

Reaction score
I crafted a beer that's consistently turned out awesome. I labeled it as and American Pale Ale but now that I want to enter it I'm noting that it misses the BJCP style in a couple areas. What should I enter it as if I want to compete? My understanding is that mis-styling it will cause you to lose points.

Here are my stats:
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.81%
SRM: 12.5 SRM
IBU: 63.52

My IBUs are pretty outstanding. But I'm using Sorachi ace and crystal so it's not overwhelming at all.

I've some commercial beers labeled just Pale Ale. Would that fly?

Thanks guys

Well, it depends a lot on your ingredients, but it sounds like it's right in the ballpark for an American IPA. I've had the same confusion in the past...I made a beer that tasted like an APA to me, but according to the BJCP it was an IPA. I'm not sure the guidelines really reflect the type of beers that are being made on the West Coast these days - I can't remember the last commercial IPA I saw that had IBU's in the 40's. 70 seems like it should be the starting point, not the top of the range.

American IPA

Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); American hops; American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate. Versions with a noticeable Rye character (“RyePA”) should be entered in the Specialty category.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.075
IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.018
SRM: 6 – 15 ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

Looks to me like it's solidly in the American IPA range. Of course it doesn't matter what you call it at home, but you can enter it as an IPA, I would think.

Guidelines for IPA:
OG: 1.056 - 1.075
FG: 1.010 - 1.018
IBU: 40 - 70
SRM: 6 - 15

Maybe an ipa but it depends on the timing of the hop additions, mostly. If you have a big hop aroma from late additions and/or dry hop, I'd label it an IPA. If it doesn't AND the alcohol and bitterness isn't too noticeable, you might be able to get away with an APA.

2 oz of Sorachi at 60
1oz of crystal at 15

I think I'll go with American ipa.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back