SP-10 issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashTun-Kutcher

Reaction score
I bought a bayou sp10 on amazon.com but it doesnt seem to work. The stand and burner itself look brand new but the braided propane cord/regulator look used. When i light the burner, it burns a small flame for a few seconds and then lets out a "POOF" sound and the small flame is gone. Has anyone had this issue before? I really dont want to send it all the way back. Any help would be appreciated.

Sometimes the regulators have an auto shut off that needs to be reset. Try turning down the regulator dial until it closes and then opening it up slowly until it lights. That has worked for me a few times.

I've had mine not light right up a couple times. After a couple tried I'll just disconnect from the propane tank to relieve the pressure which should reset the flow restrictor (pressure sure it's spring loaded). If you're worried about the regulator they do sell replacements for relatively cheap (maybe consider exchanging it too?).

Turn everything off and disconnect everything. Open the regulator and close it. Then attach it to the tank. Slowly turn the tank on. Slowly open the regulator and try lighting the burner while slowly opening it. If there is still a problem try a different tank if you have one or disconnect everything and give the rugulator a small tap.

Ok ill try it. I live on the west coast and the burner came from NY so i really dont want to send it back.

There is no need to send it back. The majority of what you bought is in the stand and the burner, and there is really nothing mechanical inside that burner to fail. So your issue is either in your tank or your regulator.....probably your regulator. They have some type of auto shut off in there and I'm betting that yours is shut off. If you are at all mechanical, do some testing with air on that regulator to make sure you have flow and you should be fine. If not, and you are sure your tank is ok, then you may have to send your regulator back or buy a new one (about $15...which is alot cheaper than shipping the whole unit back).

I have seen regulators at those places, but bring your's with you to make sure that you get the right plumbing for everything to hook up. I don't think there is anything too sophisticated to them, they just regulate the high pressure from your tank down to 5 or 10 psi, and then allow you to adjust the flow to get the right flame. Just make sure you don't get one for "low pressure" natural gas bbq...because they have those in the same section and they look similar.

Does it have to be a high pressure regulator or just a normal one? I believe the sp-10 is a high pressure burner.

All I know is that there is a difference, and that this type of burner requires a high pressure regulator. I'm thinking that the "high pressure" part must refer to what the regulator can handle because the output is only 5 or 10 psi for these burners and that doesn't seem like high pressure to me.....maybe it is for a gas burner???...I really don't know what the difference is.

Latest posts

Back