Weird Foaming Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
Weird problem just cropping up on one of my kegs. I recently tapped a blonde ale that I naturally carbed in the keg. Let it sit for almost 3 weeks, put it on roughly 7 psi to serve and everythings been great - until today.

I pulled a couple pints earlier and it poured fine, decent head no excessive foaming. But the last few have had TONS of foam. I didn't change anything, absolutely nothing has been touched or changed short of the amount of beer in the keg (still almost full).

I'm running a 5' picnic tap, and have had zero problem with the last keg and the first part of the current keg. I typically keep the pressure right between 5-7 psi for serving. I've already tried bleeding the pressure out of the keg and reapplying pressure but to no avail.

So what's up here?

I just opened up the keg to see what was going on and I noticed the temp inside the keg was COLD. My breath was freezing just above the main opening.

Would being so cold cause this? I've got my controller set at 42* which puts it down to 38* at the coldest. I don't know why my keg would be so cold while the freezer itself isn't that bad (moisture inside isn't even freezing).

On my own, eh?

Oh well...found the problem. The dip tube had a hole in it. Can't see it, but dunking it in some water showed me right where it was. It was high up on the tube, but low enough that I had to pull a few pints before it was no longer submersed in beer.

Did you check the dip tube? There may be a small hole in it about half way up causing it to pull in co2 from the head space. *smart a$$ grin*
seriously, none of us would have figured that out, glad you got it fixed.

Back