Saturday brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springer

Reaction score
This is my getto tier . I tried fly sparging for the first time .I put a SS mixing bowl on top of the grain bed and let the water run over the top. My target was to get a SG of 1.042 -.046. I collected 7 gallons of wort pre boil reading came out to 1.040 @70 degrees .

I ended up with just about 5.25 going onto the primary with a reading of 1.050-.052

The one problem I did encounter was my sparge water while it never went below 168 in the HLT I lost a significant amount of temp while Sparging .

It was about 40 out . I think I will need to insulate the Valve and tubing.

All in all I was happy with the results...

getto.jpg

getto1.jpg

getto2.jpg

gettohightech.jpg

Was a lot of fun I cant wait to brew again . Need another primary and Carboy .

I also forgot to post the recipe

9 lbs. Domestic 2-Row barley
12 oz. Caramel 40°L
4 oz. Special B
4 oz. Roasted Barley,
1 oz. Cascade
1 oz. Fuggle
Wyeast American Ale # 1056

I really need to get some software to see what my efficiency is

That is classic; the ghetto tier! With a piece of wood and all! Can't get any better than that.

avidhomebrewer said:
That is classic; the ghetto tier! With a piece of wood and all! Can't get any better than that.

I decided I didnt want to drill a hole in the lid of the cooler so I just used some styrofoam I had laying around and the wood was to keep it set in place worked out pretty well.

OG after boil was 1.052 , FG 1.010

came out very clear. My wife loves it and is going to finish them off in no time. Guess I need to brew this wekend .... Damn:D

cheers.jpg

Back