newest budweiser commercials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
I gotta say, I've never been a Budweiser fan but I always thought there advertisements were funny. I'm guessing Budweiser has been taking a beating from Sam Adams and other smaller breweries who are pushing the better ingredients makes better beer line. You can't blame Bud for trying to compete but I find there newest commercials incredibly misleading. They make it sound like there lagers are stored for months of aging. After a bit of research on there website I found that they take 30 days to make there lager. They spend less time on their lager than I do on my ales. I also love how they dog imports on being to dark and overbearing. Obviously they have not heard of Pils-Urquell or any other imported pils. If they wanted to compete in the "good beer" market they should release a beer that does not taste like watered down sake, not mislead people in thinking there beer is a premium beer.
Sorry,
had to rant to somebody.

Like I said before, I like Rob Riggle...he's a funny bastard on TDS...but the commercials, well, they're shyte. The worst, of course, being the one where the essentially claim that budweiser is better because it's a lager, and it's clear and they have nowhere to hide mistakes and flaws---but darker beers do. I mean, look, light lagers have their place, but now they're just preying on the ignorance of the average joe sixpack.

I love the commercial where they show a guy carring a bucket of hops. I couldn't help but think that that bucket contained the hops for the entire brew day at the Bud plant.

I must have seen 5 of these commercials during the games yesterday. Craft brewers critisize BMC brews so it seems fair that they can do the same but, in the end if folks like great flavored ales/lagers they will buy them.

Those commercials were lame and more annoying that entertaining. Still the facts they presented are completely true. Light lagers are very difficult to pull off and being able to do it consistently across so many breweries is an amazing technical feat.

If I remember right, they never used to emphasize the style of the beer so much in their advertising, just that it was beer. Now their campaign slogan seems to be "The Great American Lager".

To me it seems like thats obvious proof the craft beer industry is making a name for itself with its hundreds of different styles.

It is true that light lagers are pretty tough. Hiding DMS and Diacytel doesn't work since there is very little malt and hops flavor to cover it. I'm drinking my version of a premium American lager and thought it was perfect. After it warms up a bit, just the hint of diacytel comes through... darn.

My favorite is when they say "Beechwood Aged". Maybe they should explain they use beechwood to speed up the process, not age the beer.

i was most amused by those commercials. there's nowhere to hide because it's essentially water. water and bubbles. and pish yellow.

i was watching with a friend and he suggested i make a commercial for my brewery. class idea. now all i need is a spark of creativity, multi-media equipment, and a swedish volleyball team (the script for ad #1 kind of wrote itself).

It's not too hard to do what they do when you have a warchest of millions and have the ability to spend 12million on 4 minutes of commercials.

Hard for us to do though.

Evan! said:
. The worst, of course, being the one where the essentially claim that budweiser is better because it's a lager, and it's clear and they have nowhere to hide mistakes and flaws---but darker beers do. I mean, look, light lagers have their place, but now they're just preying on the ignorance of the average joe sixpack.

I was pretty pissed when i saw that commercial about how dark beers can hide flaws. The sad part is that so many people are beer-ingnorant that there's a good chance a lot of people will buy it.

Have you seen the one where they compare bud to an "import" and a "lite" beer. The claim is the "import" is too heavy, the lite beer is watered down while the bud is perfectly balanced.
The funny thing is the "import" is obviously Guinness which is "lighter" (as in lower calorie and alcohol) than the Bud.

Of course I actually like to taste my beer. I don't drink BMC for the same reason I dont drink flavored water. If I want cool and refreshing, I drink ice water. If I want a beer I want to taste the beer. I don't want a slightly flavored drink.

Craig

Oh, hell, you know that they really aren't "winning" folks over to bud with these commercials. All they are doing is giving folks some justification for drinking the pisswater that they choose.

It's an age-old strategy, been going on ever since we started sharing campfires together...and gets applied pretty broadly. Take, for example, the political pundits that I always see screaming whenever I look at a TV these days. Just giving people reasons to feel how they feel, without imparting any new information or real data that matters. (And that goes for ALL of them, no matter what side of the fence they happen to sit upon. This isn't a political commentary, merely a statement concerning strategies used to sway the masses.) It ain't new and it won't stop anytime soon.

Besides, that leaves more of that yucky, devious and flaw-hiding dark beer for the rest of us!

Bedlam said:
Oh, hell, you know that they really aren't "winning" folks over to bud with these commercials.
Boy, I hope you are right. As someone who used to drink only Bud until being exposed to the "dark" (as in stout, bock, etc) side, I can only assume that the adds are geared to a younger generation that wants a "premium" beer. It is evident that our definition of premium differs from theirs, but it is a good ploy on AB's part to get people to buy into their claims that Bud is a top notch beer. Either way the ads are an acknowledgement that micros and imports are causing the commercial breweries to take notice.:)

Latest posts

Back