Dark Mild Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a bit thin but I attribute that too the low alcohol. Carbonation will definitely help, but my FG was 1.01, not really thin. Just feels that way. But man could I pound these if I wanted to

Just cracked open my first one of these. I was a couple oz short on the crystal and subbed EKG for the Fuggles but otherwise brewed it as written. Came out at 1.037/1.014 and I'm very pleased with the result. This is my first attempt at a mild and also the lowest ABV beer I've ever made. I'm surprised at the amount of flavor, and I expected it to taste much thinner. Thanks for the recipe and tips, I think I've just been turned on to session brews!
:mug:

Just cracked open my first one of these. I was a couple oz short on the crystal and subbed EKG for the Fuggles but otherwise brewed it as written. Came out at 1.037/1.014 and I'm very pleased with the result. This is my first attempt at a mild and also the lowest ABV beer I've ever made. I'm surprised at the amount of flavor, and I expected it to taste much thinner. Thanks for the recipe and tips, I think I've just been turned on to session brews!
:mug:

Glad I could convert another brewer to the joys of session beers!

Lots of great stuff to try, and rather enjoyable to try brewing!

Right now I'm working up a recipe for a session "IPA" with juniper berries to boost the flavor without over hopping the beer.

I just wanted to say thanks,
I brewed this and used EKG and it turned out awesome, so good that I brewed it again.
Didn't have any year old yeast, but new yeast worked out fine.
Thanks Again.

I think it tastes very similar to Newcastle.

Anyone brew this with US Crystal Malts? just curious how it turned out. Has anyone tried side by side US Crystal vs. UK Crystal?

EDIT: Im gonna brew mine with whatever my HBS carries, which I think is Briess Crystal malt. Although I do have some Carastan Dark, so that might work.

Anyone brew this with US Crystal Malts? just curious how it turned out. Has anyone tried side by side US Crystal vs. UK Crystal?

EDIT: Im gonna brew mine with whatever my HBS carries, which I think is Briess Crystal malt. Although I do have some Carastan Dark, so that might work.

I think you'll find that it'll be close enough.

I use US C-malts more often than not because it's what I keep on hand all the time. I can't honestly tell the difference myself and I have a pretty good set of taste buds on me. Never done a side by side though since I keg I wouldn't likely have two versions on draft at once.

I use US C-malts more often than not because it's what I keep on hand all the time. I can't honestly tell the difference myself and I have a pretty good set of taste buds on me. Never done a side by side though since I keg I wouldn't likely have two versions on draft at once.

Well turns out my HBS had 1lb of UK Crystal 65, and I happen to have Carastan (I think its 38) on hand. So, I used 1lb of UK 65 and 0.5lb of Carastan. I am very much looking forward to drinking this beer. I used WLP017, Whitbread Ale yeast.

6 Gallons @ 1.035; I mashed at 158*. Hopefully, my FG will land in the ballpark of 1.012.

Entered this one in NHC. Got some interesting results. Scored a 28.5 and the the main critique was too much roasted barley, too big, not enough maltiness, was called "almost a porter." I don't really see it. Maybe I can see the roastiness, but I like that. I would definitely not call this one a porter or anywhere near a porter...

I was thinking this one would be my top scorer...

Mine turned out great. FG around 1.013. This beer is fantastic. I love it. It was also very well received by my homebrew club.

Entered this one in NHC. Got some interesting results. Scored a 28.5 and the the main critique was too much roasted barley, too big, not enough maltiness, was called "almost a porter." I don't really see it. Maybe I can see the roastiness, but I like that. I would definitely not call this one a porter or anywhere near a porter...

I was thinking this one would be my top scorer...

Interesting comment. I don't find it that roasty at all

Going to be brewing this with a wild yeast that was collected under a fig tree. No idea what the yeast characteristics are except that it ferments clean and flocs well. Very excited.

Brewed this last night, OG was 1.036 instead of 1.035 but I think its because of my boil rate. Pitched 137 billion cells of wild yeast, I wish I had a bottle of the original recipe with Nottingham to compare but oh well. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Brewed this last night, OG was 1.036 instead of 1.035 but I think its because of my boil rate. Pitched 137 billion cells of wild yeast, I wish I had a bottle of the original recipe with Nottingham to compare but oh well. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

I will need to see pics of the beer, and also a sample bottle sent to me for official stamp of approval testing :D

I wish I thought about taking a pic last night, the top of the beer had pretty large/slimy bubbles. If they are still there tonight I will be sure to take a pic and post.

Photo of wild yeast fermenting, looks pretty healthy and active:

wild yeast.jpg

Yea, the wild yeast was isolated to a single strain on a plate and then grew from there. I have to admit it wasn't my doing, it comes from a brewery who is opening soon and they collected wild yeast around their town and worked with someone to isolate a few strains they caught and picked the best one after some test batches. Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://hawriverales.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-beast-from-yeast-bears-fruit.html

Yea, the wild yeast was isolated to a single strain on a plate and then grew from there. I have to admit it wasn't my doing, it comes from a brewery who is opening soon and they collected wild yeast around their town and worked with someone to isolate a few strains they caught and picked the best one after some test batches. Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://hawriverales.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-beast-from-yeast-bears-fruit.html

That was a good read, quite interesting the critters they pulled from the air!

I love it! Unfortunately this is the only time I've made it so I cant compare to how it normally tastes. The yeast is def. a Saison style yeast with some esters when drinking at lower temps like 35-45, then it turns into a really really smooth mouthfeel and really smooth mild taste that you can drink 3-4 before you realize.

OG-1.036 -> FG 1.011
I used the same recipe as listed in this post to the T except the wild yeast which I used about ~140 billion cells
Fermented at ~67 the entire time

Overall this recipe is solid. I will be making this again and will probably use another type of yeast because I love the beer itself. I've not made anything with as good of a mouhtfeel as this and I can drink a bunch without feeling gross or drunk.

I love it! Unfortunately this is the only time I've made it so I cant compare to how it normally tastes. The yeast is def. a Saison style yeast with some esters when drinking at lower temps like 35-45, then it turns into a really really smooth mouthfeel and really smooth mild taste that you can drink 3-4 before you realize.

OG-1.036 -> FG 1.011
I used the same recipe as listed in this post to the T except the wild yeast which I used about ~140 billion cells
Fermented at ~67 the entire time

Overall this recipe is solid. I will be making this again and will probably use another type of yeast because I love the beer itself. I've not made anything with as good of a mouhtfeel as this and I can drink a bunch without feeling gross or drunk.

Give it a whirl with a few different English strains and see how it stacks up.

Maybe Nottingham, S-04, 1968, etc.....

Anyone tried instant oats with this recipe? One of my batches ended up at 2.75% ABV and tasted great. Although, the body was a bit too thin and too light.

I'm thinking of redoing this recipe at 2.75% with just a bit more body.

Just brewed a variation of this beer with on-hand ingredients.

12 gallon batch
1.034 OG
9.5 lb 2 row
1.5 lb Munich (didn't have Vienna)
1.5 lb Crystal 75
1.5 lb Crystal 60
1.5 lb Rolled Oats
12 oz Chocolate malt

Nottingham yeast

Really excited about this. This is my first 10+ gallon batch with my new keggle.

Also just roasted my 2 row for the next brew of this batch.

I plan to keg half of this as regular, and half of this with oak. Decided to use oats this time.

I'll post pics once it's ready.

I forgot to mention that this is the first time that I've cold sparged. Still got over 70% efficiency and didn't seem to change that much.

I'm going to tighten the gap on my mill next time, but the only draw back to the cold sparge is the extra time it takes to heat up the water for the boil. On the other hand, I either have to spend the time heating up the water before the sparge, or after the sparge. If I had a second burner, I would be able to speed all of this up.

Just brewed a variation of this beer with on-hand ingredients.

12 gallon batch
1.034 OG
9.5 lb 2 row
1.5 lb Munich (didn't have Vienna)
1.5 lb Crystal 75
1.5 lb Crystal 60
1.5 lb Rolled Oats
12 oz Chocolate malt

Nottingham yeast

Really excited about this. This is my first 10+ gallon batch with my new keggle.

Also just roasted my 2 row for the next brew of this batch.

I plan to keg half of this as regular, and half of this with oak. Decided to use oats this time.

I'll post pics once it's ready.
I have been adding Munich or dark Munich to many recipes, it's my current favorite two grains.

A bit of dark Munich in my Bavarian hefe? Fugeddabout it!

I forgot to mention that this is the first time that I've cold sparged. Still got over 70% efficiency and didn't seem to change that much.

I'm going to tighten the gap on my mill next time, but the only draw back to the cold sparge is the extra time it takes to heat up the water for the boil. On the other hand, I either have to spend the time heating up the water before the sparge, or after the sparge. If I had a second burner, I would be able to speed all of this up.

You need three burners, just to be safe..

:D

When I brewed this, I didn't cook the oats first. This led to an incomplete conversion in the mash. Hopefully this doesn't affect the beer in a negative manner.

Anyone know what happens to those extra starches in the beer? Do they just drop out of solution? Or do they stick around and haunt you as an off flavor?

When I brewed this, I didn't cook the oats first. This led to an incomplete conversion in the mash. Hopefully this doesn't affect the beer in a negative manner.

Anyone know what happens to those extra starches in the beer? Do they just drop out of solution? Or do they stick around and haunt you as an off flavor?

Did you use rolled oats? They are geletanized already from the processing so the starches are readily usable in a mash without a seperate cereal mash.

As for starches it will add more body and a bit of haze to the beer but given the colour I doubt it will be noticed like it would in a light pale ale.

Back