Light Belgian ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
I live my Belgian ales and have made a few. I've tried Sam Adams Belgian session ale, and loved it! Very Belgian taste, but light like lager. I'm thinking I could probably achieve this my skipping the sugar additions and using pilsner malts? Any suggestions out there???

I just brewed a Belgian like this, kind of modeled after Northern Brewer's Patersbier. It was:

OG: 1.044
FG: 1.010
IBU: 20
ABV: 4.5

7.0 lbs Belgian Pilsner
0.5 lb Aromatic
0.5 lb Turbinado

1.0 oz Saaz (4.2%) - 90 min
0.5 oz Saaz (4.2%) - 20 min

Wyeast 3787, fermented ~70*F

Granted, it's only been in the bottles for 2 weeks, but I did open one up last night and it's pretty easy to tell that this will be a very light easy drinking Belgian that won't have you hanging onto the floor after a couple pints.

I am re-brewing the Brewing Classic Styles/ Jamil Show Belgian Pale Ale. It sounds like what you are looking for- not too high gravity, every day drinking beer, with a little Belgian yeast character.

The timing of your interest in lighter Belgian ales couldn't be better, by the way. One of the special release yeasts from White Labs for November and December of this year is going to be the Antwerp strain, which is supposed to give you more lager like qualities than a run of the mill Belgian workhorse.

Back