am i rushing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremereef

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i brewed a imperial blond ale n a cream ale , directions said 5-6 days take it out of fermenting bucket and put in carboy . but i waited 7 days . now i was gonna wait 2 days then put it in the corny keg and put 30 psi in it . now after 4 days can i drink it or should i have waited longer to keg it . basically its 2 weeks from start to drinking ..

What did your hydrometer say? Without any additional information, I'm gonna say you rushed it...

Wait longer... Leave it in primary for at least two weeks to give the yeast time to finish up and clean up anything they left behind. If you aren't dry hopping or adding fruit it wouldn't hurt to leave your beer in the primary for 4 weeks.

its done fermenting .what could be the cons of doing this

"Done fermenting" and actually worth drinking are not the same thing. Giving the brew more time will allow it to become all it can. So yes, you are EXTREMELY rushing your imperial brew. As already mentioned, an imperial (by definition is a bigger version of the regular recipe) needs more time before it's ready to go to glass.

Seems like you're all about instant gratification. Rushing home brew through the steps is a bad idea on so many levels. Next you'll be complaining about how it tastes like green apples, or is acidic (green apples is 'green' or too young brew, and the acidic is due to over carbonation).

Since you already kegged it, it's a bit too late. You might be able to salvage it by pulling it from the fridge, equalizing the pressure in the keg (keep it high enough to seal it, but that's about it) and then let it keg age some. Or pull a pint now to see what happened from rushing the brew like you did. Then pull it from the fridge and give it a month to age before chilling it down again and carbonating it up.

BTW, there's TONS of posts like all over the boards.

didnt keg it yet
its still in the carboy
i usually wait a long time with this stuff but thats when i bottle it .. my last batch of blue berry ale took 3 months from start to drinking . this will be my first time keging

Rule #1 when brewing from a published recipe... Ignore time frames for fermentation, or anything after you pitch the yeast...

The brew will progress at it's own rate. Don't deviate from good practices just because you're going to keg the batch. Let the brew become all it can BEFORE you keg it. Really, going to keg is no different than going to bottles. Actually, I'd go longer in primary before keg than bottles since you don't have the 3+ weeks at 70F for it to get even better.

the recipe said to ferment for 6 -7 days then bottle . just seemed quick compared to other recipes

Recipes are notoriously short in their timetables. Most also don't mention to wait until gravity readings are stable indicating that fermentation is finished. I have had several that didn't finish fermenting for at more than 10 days.

You can also leave the beer in primary longer and skip secondary entirely.

Many feel that 3 to 4 weeks in primary allow the yeast to clean up any off flavors created during active fermentation.

I primary ferment for about 3 weeks and then bottle condition for 2-3 weeks and my beers are, IMO, very good.

Back