safbrew t-58, how much to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calibrewer209

Reaction score
I am brewing a 5 gal batch, chili rye iipa with an OG around 1.080 and an abv around 7.7%. My original plan was to make a starter with 1 pack of safbrew t-58 and pitch another pack in the primary. Then I received my byo mag in the mail and an article said for an OG of 1.080 you need around 500 billion yeast cells. Fermentis' website says the pitching rate should be 50g-80g/hl. I'm guessing g is grams and there's 10g's per pack, but what is hl? Also, Wyeast yeast is 100 billion but the website says, when used as a starter, can produce 240 billion. Should I expect a higher cell count with my starter, using safbrew t-58 (dry yeast) Anyone have any advice?

I am brewing a 5 gal batch, chili rye iipa with an OG around 1.080 and an abv around 7.7%. My original plan was to make a starter with 1 pack of safbrew t-58 and pitch another pack in the primary. Then I received my byo mag in the mail and an article said for an OG of 1.080 you need around 500 billion yeast cells. Fermentis' website says the pitching rate should be 50g-80g/hl. I'm guessing g is grams and there's 10g's per pack, but what is hl? Also, Wyeast yeast is 100 billion but the website says, when used as a starter, can produce 240 billion. Should I expect a higher cell count with my starter, using safbrew t-58 (dry yeast) Anyone have any advice?

hectoliters = 100 liters.

K, I just realized I made it more complicated then it is. Fermentis' website says there are 60 billion yeast cells per packet. The byo magazine says I need around 500 billion for a brew with an OG of 1.080. So I should need 8 packets. Does that sound like way too much?

The byo magazine says I need around 500 billion for a brew with an OG of 1.080.

That seems really high. In fact, it's right around lager pitching rates. Are you sure you weren't reading a lager article? You're probably fine with 1.5-2 packets, when properly rehydrated.

No, He was talking about ales. At the end of the article he talks about how lagers use twice as much yeast then ales. Yeah, i'm sure i'll be alright with 2 packs. The yrasts website says it's made for high abv brews from 8.5-12.5%. Thnx for the advice.

T-58 is a beast. I would pitch one pack. I have used it many times, it is like S-04 on speed. Blow off tube required. Unless you want a splatter painted ceiling.

Back