Hazelnut extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBuddy2

Reaction score
I just tasted my first batch of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale clone (bottled 4 weeks ago) and the hazelnut flavor is too strong. I didn't know how much flavoring extract to put in at bottling and I obviously added too much.

My question is this - can I expect the hazelnut flavor to diminish/mellow over time with bottle aging or am I stuck with what I've got? It's not undrinkable but I can be patient if it's going to get better with a little aging.

If it's anything like my raspberry wheat (made with rasp extract) was, it'll diminish some over time.

Come to think of it, I have a couple aged bottles of that I need to try. :D

What recipe did you use? My mom loves that stuff and I'd like to make her up a batch.

I made a beer with coconut extract and it started out way too strong but its died down quite a bit and is in good balance with the other flavors. I used about .75oz for a 5 gallon batch. Mixed right into the bottling bucket before I bottled.

I used 1/2 oz. hazelnut extract just before bottling. It has been 6+ months now since I bottled and the last few bottles have been great. The hazelnut flavor has indeed diminished over time. Next time I will use 1/4 oz.

The recipe I used:

6lbs light LME
1.5 lbs Munich malt (10L)
1.2 lbs Muntons crystal malt (80L)
0.56 lbs brown malt
0.35 crytal malt (120L)
0.35 crystal malt (15L)
0.24 lbs chocolate malt
1 oz Perle pellet hops (bittering)
0.5 oz Saaz pellet hops (aroma)
1tsp Irish moss
Wyeast 1056 (smack pack)