Going through the Big "V" and i don't mean Vegas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
had it done yesterday. Vasectomy. i will no longer be able to have children. seems a little weird to think about. i have two great kids and an awesome wife. we decided to make it official. sitting here and enjoying a six of IIPA and a few big bottles of Boulevard Smokestack series. SWMBO took the kids and one of the dogs to the in-laws to give me a weekend off.

mixed feelings about it. how do you really act when told you will no longer have children. we talked and argued and talked some more but it didn't really hit me until thursday night. No More Kids. :confused:

not regretful just don't know what i am feeling. (Besides a little drunk)

You know the great part, though? The sex gets so much better. For a couple of reasons- one, no birth control pills or diaphragm for her. That makes a woman feel so much better. Or, if you're using condoms, no more condoms. FOREVER. Just being able to be hormone-free and feeling great and still being spontaneous without fear of pregnancy increases the sexual feelings 100 times over. My sex life got awesome after my ex's vasectomy.

(I still divorced him, because he's a jerk. But the sex was great!)

The other thing- I have two perfect wonderful kids. I felt that I couldn't afford the time/money/resources to raise more than two. It was the correct decision, even though "the last" this or that made me a bit nostalgic for those baby days.

Look at the bright side, no more babies means more time and money for hombrewing :D

Meh. You can always adopt a poor child who doesn't have anyone to raise them. it's not like you can't have ANY more kids...

And who needs more than 2 anyway. I think we all need to start practicing population control. Especially some people I see at the doctors waiting room, at Wal-Mart, etc.

I definitely found the nookie got better & more frequent. Love my two kids but I certainly won't miss the sleepless nights of having a newborn! :ban:

A friend from out of town has twin 11-month olds, they visited, we watched them for 8 hours, and I have no desire to have any more children, ever. Oh. My. God.

Congrats on the operation and Happy Birth-Control-Free Intercourse! (Hallmark should make cards for that).

Go back for the follow up "count".

I work with two guys who have had kids after a vasectomy. No, they're not the mailman's kids.

I need to get moving on mine, not something I'm looking forward to.

No chronic pain, but I did go through a brief period of addiction to "Real Housewives of Orange County." That's some weird **** when you're loopy from pain medication and packing frozen peas in your boxers.

i didn't get the pain meds, the doc knows i homebrew and said i should stay looped on them. it did take the edge off. ibuprophen and a few ice bags. still an ache on the right side but i am back at work. not as bad as i thought it was going to be

Had mine done and stopped at Grand Rapids Brewing Company for dinner right afterwards. The Bag of Peas worked just long enough for the beer sampler to kick in.

I was sore for maybe a couple of weeks after, but it was pretty mild after the first few days. Having it done definitely takes the "thrill" out of sex (if by thrill you enjoy the scared feeling of wondering if you are going to go through baby fun stuff like changing diapers, not sleeping, etc. so on...)

Had mine done on a Friday, and I was a bit sore for a few days. After that, it was all good. The absolute worst part for me was the local injection. Other than that, no pain during the procedure.

I would not want to do it again, but I am glad I did it.

My doctor was a funnyman.....held that needle up & said "you're gonna feel a little prick".....I said "so are you "

i didn't get the pain meds, the doc knows i homebrew and said i should stay looped on them. it did take the edge off. ibuprophen and a few ice bags. still an ache on the right side but i am back at work. not as bad as i thought it was going to be
I hope that's the prescription I get!

I was going to get axed after our daughter was born, but of course was waiting until everything was done to make sure she was healthy and everything. That ended up not being the case and instead of a daughter, I have a few boxes of stuff, two months of memories, a tattoo on my rib cage and a hole in my heart. I'm glad I did not go ahead and get snipped. We are hoping to have another child some day. If everything goes well with the next child I'll be getting snipped though.

My doctor was a funnyman.....held that needle up & said "you're gonna feel a little prick".....I said "so are you "

Awesome

Had mine done on a Friday, and I was a bit sore for a few days. After that, it was all good. The absolute worst part for me was the local injection. Other than that, no pain during the procedure.

I would not want to do it again, but I am glad I did it.

I thought the worst was that "tugging" sensation as they pull on the little hoses to snip them... Just felt WRONG.

Tugging? I thought it felt more like a pair of pissed off pliers -

I don't think the lidocaine/novocaine was very well done - (20+ years ago!)

but my favorite was the itching...

shaving gave me razor burn than then they splashed alcohol at the very end. THAT hurt the worst

Homercidal said:
I thought the worst was that "tugging" sensation as they pull on the little hoses to snip them... Just felt WRONG.
When I had mine, the murse "let go" of the hose after the cutting but before the suture. The dr was pissed and had to go fishing for it... That sucked! I was sore for way longer than I should have been.... still worth it though...

wife wants me to get the plumbing fixed too. just haven't done it yet. we decided 2 kids is enough. when it comes to kids, playing man-to-man is better than zone defense, right? if ya have kids, ya know how they can be sometimes when they're under 5 years old.

5 days later and i still feel like my right nut was sack tapped. ibuprophen and ESB. good combo

My left nut still hurts, and I had it done in September. There was an issue with the cauterizer so it wasn't as quick and easy as the right side.

Two things:
Wear as tight underwear as you can stand the first month or so.

Wait a day longer before you try things out. You'll thank yourself later.

Even with the daily ache, I'm still glad I did it.

B

My left nut still hurts, and I had it done in September. There was an issue with the cauterizer so it wasn't as quick and easy as the right side.

Two things:
Wear as tight underwear as you can stand the first month or so.

Wait a day longer before you try things out. You'll thank yourself later.

Even with the daily ache, I'm still glad I did it.

B

I'm pretty sure I tried my stuff out the next day... For me it was like the first batch of homebrew. Just couldn't wait any longer!

I'm pretty sure I tried my stuff out the next day... For me it was like the first batch of homebrew. Just couldn't wait any longer!

That made me cringe more than any comment about the V. You are a sick sick man.

I waited about 10 days. Just about overflowed the cup they gave me. . .

B

No kids, and the wife is begging me to get it done. She had to go off birth control because of high blood pressure. I aint gonna lie, after 20+ years of no condoms, i'm seriously considering it.

Although, these stories aren't helping any.

_

Man up and do it. My friend who had it done a month before I did went from home to the doc's and back home in less than an hour. He was also playing volleyball in about 10 days. Another friend had no issues (other than the two hour procedure, but he's 6'8 and I think they used an arc welder to sew him back up after. As big of an MF'er he is, they couldn't find his vas.) A different friend had it done a year ago and is still happy.

I _Really_ don't want kids. That's why I did it. Now The Lady is off the pill, and there's no worries about an 'oops.'

Like I said before. Even with the ache, I'm glad.

B

Welcome to the seedless grapes club - I'm about 7 weeks into mine. At this point almost all of the pain has gone away, but the incidental "hits" that happen (cat jumping into your lap, etc...) are still much more noticeable.

For me, the worst was the cautery. "Why yes, that is your balls burning that you smell."

As for the advice about making the follow up sample deposits before stopping other birth control, it's no lie. My first sample after 4 weeks was still viable.

My wife was in the room with me and the doc looks at the nurse and says "I feel my blood sugger droping please go get me a candy and a soda so I can finish." My wife started to laugh. That was not much fun...

It's not too bad. My doctor was bragging that he has never needed stitches in 30 years. But one side of mine was not clotting, so he had the nurse bring in a cauterizer pen. And I got to take it home with me!!!

And yes, I would not be playing volleyball after 10 days, but it's not bad after a couple. And yes you will get the random jostle that stings a bit for a while, and you might have to sit a bit more carefully for a while, but it's not forever (like kids...)

I feel for you...SWMBO is pregnant with baby #2, and I have an 18-month old. We already discussed that I would hjave the big "V" and I'm not scared, but it just feels wierd knowing I will never be able to have children again. Good luck to you; keep us posted.

I don't think anybody else's covered this, but I'm in the "best day of my life" club.

SWMBO and I had been together 5.5 years. Don't have kids, don't want kids. Happy as pigs in $#!+ to be a DINK couple (Dual Income, No Kids). Not "One and done," a but "None and done" kinda couple.

Yada, yada, she gets prego. Two months later we get the big V done. Comedy endues when a) the valium doesn't work as advertised; b) the linacane (sp) doesn't exactly work as advertised; c) SWMBO starts saying "yeah, I could do that! It looks like spaghetti!"

Yada, yada some more and the kiddo is a very impressive 4 year old. I mean, we look at each other and say, "God gave us this?! He really knew what he was doing."

So the bottom line: yeah, our kiddo is GREAT, easy maintainance ... but not because we had anything to do with it!

Would we do it again: no.
Have we changed our minds about the "family" we would/should have been: no.
Are we glad it happened: hard to say.
Were we destined to have more: obviously not, the magical post V-job prego did not happen to us BECAUSE we got the V-job during the oh F#ck time when we FINALLY got serious and got snipped.

If you don't want kids: GET SNIPPED!. I don't care if you're 12, 18, or 40. Getting snipped is the way to go. Suck it up.

I don't care if you're 12, 18, or 40. Getting snipped is the way to go. Suck it up.

12 and 18 are a bit too young. I waited till 37. The ONLY thing that I'm even remotely (and it's a teeny-tiny-titty-bitty remote) concerned about now is the I-meet-the-woman-of-my-dreams-and-she-wants-a-baby conversation. But if she is the woman of my dreams, she'll understand.

A friend married a guy with kids and he was snipped when they met. She said it's the best $12 he ever spent. I agree!

B

12 and 18 are a bit too young. I waited till 37. The ONLY thing that I'm even remotely (and it's a teeny-tiny-titty-bitty remote) concerned about now is the I-meet-the-woman-of-my-dreams-and-she-wants-a-baby conversation. But if she is the woman of my dreams, she'll understand.

A friend married a guy with kids and he was snipped when they met. She said it's the best $12 he ever spent. I agree!

B

Okay 12 may be a bit young, but at 18, you're wearing big boy panties. If you perrsonally want it done, its your choice. I have known since I was 20 -before I even met SWMBO - when I knew I didn't want kids and haven't changed my mind since. Wish i'd listened to myself at the time.

I just take seroius issue with people who say you're too young.

I'm of the opinion that there are a couple of times in a young man's life when he should be REQUIRED to spend time with someone that can possibly provide some insight.

The first one: Getting Married.
Before getting married a person should have to go start to finish with someone going through a nasty divorce.

The second one: Vasectomy
Before having a vasectomy a person should be required to go from start to finish with someone going through a nasty vasectomy REVERSAL.

Ok, the above was said "tongue-in-cheek".... Sort of.:)

Hmmm, I'm 46, single, no kids.
I can understand why you guys have taken that step, however, I love my jewels, and would never dream about parting ways with them.

As per the "18 is old enough" suggestion, I disagree. At 18, I'd have told you I wasn't interested at all in having kids. At 25, I'd rather be tortured and killed than having a brat running around the house. At 35, the ONLY reason I'd even consider getting married, was to have a bunch of kids. Now, at 46, the only thing I honestly regret is never having had one.
People change. If somebody feels they're too young to do it, so be it. I wouldn't do it if I was 90. But then again, maybe when I'm 90 I'd change my mind...:)

Back