Huge yeast cake (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senorswiss

Reaction score
I recently made a breakfast stout from a NB kit with Notty dry yeast (also steeped some coffee after the boil) and ended up with a massive yeast cake. Really it was more of a pudding. Maybe it wasn't actually yeast? I was only able to siphon about 2.5 - 3 gal out when racking to secondary. This thing was 4.5 inches thick! Any thoughts on what happened?

DSC_5135.JPG

DSC_5138.JPG

How long was it in primary? That just looks like it hasn't all settled yet. Also looks like a lot of break material in there too, but that usually compacts right down with the yeast.

I would have let it settle at a cooler temperature for a while. How long was it in primary? More importantly, how did it taste?

Good questions - I should have included more info in the original post. It was in primary for 4 weeks, so I don't think settling should have been the issue. I use bags for my pellet hops which keeps most of that junk out of the primary. Break material is, perhaps, a possibility, but I've never seen so much in reading online or in my admittedly short tenure as a brewer. I tasted it a couple of weeks ago, so my memory isn't fresh, but it certainly didn't taste infected.

MW66 - Unfortunately I don't have a fermentation cabinet. I used a swamp cooler for primary and kept it around 63 F.

Ah another detail that I just remembered: The entire fermentation was rather slow, the pudding-like layer on the bottom began early in the fermentation, and bubbles were rising occasionally from that layer.

Also, I meant to type that I siphoned 3-3.5 gallons to secondary rather than 2.5-3...just for the record.

Thanks for the input, gents.

I recently used the same kit with the same results. When I racked the beer to secondary it was thicker than the 3 stouts I had done previously(not NB). I am aging mine with vanilla, bourbon and oak so I hope it tastes good with all I have involved. I'll post a taste test in a month or two. I plan on letting it sit in the secondary a while.

I personally am done with kits. Moving to all-grain soon.

that's mostly trub - not yeast. It should compact down quite a bit more if you leave it a while longer before racking

How do you chill your wort coming off the boil?

50' wort chiller.

I recently used the same kit with the same results.
Good to know - Thanks Sigfried

that's mostly trub - not yeast. It should compact down quite a bit more if you leave it a while longer before racking

Isn't 4 weeks about the longest most people recommend leaving beer on the yeast in primary?

50' wort chiller.

Good to know - Thanks Sigfried

Isn't 4 weeks about the longest most people recommend leaving beer on the yeast in primary?

How did this turn out for you? I moved mine to a secondary then into a keg to condition. I plan on letting it set for a few months hoping the beer will thin out at least a little.

How did this turn out for you? I moved mine to a secondary then into a keg to condition. I plan on letting it set for a few months hoping the beer will thin out at least a little.

I actually haven't kegged it yet - keezer was full - so it's still sitting in secondary.

Back