Mistake in Brewing Classic Styles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mangine77

Reaction score
I would almost guarantee I'm just missing something here but for anyone else that has the book, I'm trying to make the Robust Vanilla Porter and the only hop addition listed in the recipe is 1.6 oz. of Kent Goldings 5%AA for the full 60 minute boil, 7 gallon pre boil volume.

Jamil is saying this should give you 31 IBU's but both of my brewing programs when you punch this recipe in are saying it only equals 22.8 IBU's.

Doesn't 31 IBU's sound like alot for an ounce and a half of Kent Goldings??

Sorry I never double post threads but the last 3 things I posted in the recipe section never got looked at.

I would almost guarantee I'm just missing something here but for anyone else that has the book, I'm trying to make the Robust Vanilla Porter and the only hop addition listed in the recipe is 1.6 oz. of Kent Goldings 5%AA for the full 60 minute boil, 7 gallon pre boil volume.

Jamil is saying this should give you 31 IBU's but both of my brewing programs when you punch this recipe in are saying it only equals 22.8 IBU's.

Doesn't 31 IBU's sound like alot for an ounce and a half of Kent Goldings??

Could be using different IBU formulas. I want to say they use Rager, but I'm not 100% sure. You might be using another. I think BeerSmith defaults to Tinseth. Also, those recipes are for 6gal batch size right? Are you doing that? Sounds like you are doing 5.5gal.

What software are you using? Change the bitterness formula to Rager if it'll let you.

But the IBU's have always lined up in the other recipes from this book?? That's what doesn't make sense.

I can't find where to change this setting in Beersmith. Anyone?

Could be using different IBU formulas. I want to say they use Rager, but I'm not 100% sure. You might be using another. I think BeerSmith defaults to Tinseth. Also, those recipes are for 6gal batch size right? Are you doing that? Sounds like you are doing 5.5gal.

That would make it less bitter anyway but I know what you are saying. But that would move it in the other direction. If anything, this should have come out a little over 31.

I get 32 IBUs in Beersmith

How is that possible?? What bitterness scale are you set to?

I've double and triple checked everything I've entered here. What could I be missing?? Where do you adjust the bitterness scale being used?

I've actually never adjusted the scale and don't where to do it.

Are you set for full boil?

Ok I just played around and I get 22 IBUs on a 3 gallon boil and 5.5 G batch.

I get 32 IBUs on a 7 G boil and 5.5 G batch

By the way. A great way to piss people off is to start the same thread a second time to try to force an answer.

My book says the same thing. His Holiday Spice Beer podcast covers the Christmas Spice Beer in the book, not your porter, so there is no help there.

This is the fork in the road where you gotta go with your own gut feeling. Me, I would underhop a beer that had vanilla in it if that was an accent I wanted to out.

Got it figured out. My program wasn't using the Rager formula. That other recipe you posted isn't the same as the one in Brewing Classic Styles. Thanks guys!

By the way. A great way to piss people off is to start the same thread a second time to try to force an answer.

Thanks for advice that I don't want. I even prefaced the second post apologizing in advance but I wanted to start this brew tonight and no one had answered. Piss off.

Careful, don't make me call in the Mod Squad...... :mad:

More unsolicited advice; there's usually about eight thousand people ready with an opinion, if not an answer. Try putting some more descriptive information in your thread title ("Jamil's book - error in IBU calculation" or something) and you're more apt to get a response.

Nasty prat. A disclaimer does not excuse inappropriate behaviour.

Sorry for trying to help. And I mean that. I am sorry I spent any effort trying to help you.

Thank you for the scolding. I really don't think I did anything that outrageous. Dontman is the one that said I was pissing people off by posting ONE thread in two different places. Something I have never done before here. Pretty dramatic statement if you ask me.

Inappropriate Behavior?? Come on guy, I was trying to get a quick response so I could get my brew going. Geeez.

8 minutes is pretty good response time IMO. Nobody meant anything bad...well except that last comment, which I guess was warranted. Lets not get out of hand here.

Yes, I would say telling someone who is giving friendly advice to "piss off" is an inappropriate reaction.

Since we all have a "new posts" button, there is never any need to double post. Threads have been merged.

Another friendly bit of advice- do NOT tell people to "piss off". It irritates the heck out of the moderators.

And here comes the usual veteran pile on this guy.

Geez. Out of the thousands of posts here I didn't think one quick double post was such a vile offense. I wanted to get my brew rolling as soon as possible because it's late. I truly apologize.

Yooper is 100% correct and being more than reasonable.

My issue is not a double post. It's the fact you told some one to piss off.

You'll get plenty of advice on this forum, that's why a lot of people are here.
If you don't want it then maybe it's best not to post.
They are also here because of the friendly nature of the board.

If you are apologising for telling some one to piss off then It's accepted.
If it's not then you are being told that it is not acceptable.

I can't see a good reason for leaving this thread open any longer.
If you'd like to reply please PM Yooper or myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back