Brewer's Rolling Tool box with March Pump mount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nothing really new here but perhaps a different style. I based this off the ideas I got from FlyAngler and Denny whou mounted their March pumps in a toolbax and an ammo box respectively. The wheeled tool box I used was about $28 at Home Depot.

As you can see in this sexy poolside bikini shoot, the pump stays high and dry.
3456634446_776bcdda2f.jpg

On the back side you have your pump switch and the GFCI outlet for my laptop, etc. On the top I placed the power in cord so I wouldn't have to worry about it dangling around. I can also plug it in and close the top to protect it from splashes.
3455817605_beaa51c75e.jpg

Opening the top, you can see the standard tool tray. I cut the corner off to free the cord up.

3456634592_cddfc893f4.jpg

Removing the tray reveals the pump and recepticle box.

3456634856_af91294488.jpg

I plan on installing some sort of divider so that I can store more here without disturbing the pump and wiring.

There is a small tray that swings out for fittings and other knick knacks.

3456635200_68cdf70853.jpg

The top can be removed from the bottom so that just the top can be carried around. Note also the storage space on the bottom.

3455817871_c1001868f7.jpg

Nicely done, Rob! I don't run into too many problems priming the pump in a horizontal orientation (I was limited by the size of the toolbox), but your design is an excellent upgrade! I especially dig the receptacle mount.

Pretty cool guy...... real clean and well done!

You could turn a standard 5 gallon bucket into a cleaning/sanitizing reservoir for that pump really quick.

Or just put a small tank in the bottom of the toolbox. Then it's all self contained :)

Nicely done! Now I want to do something like that with mine.

Much prettier than my toolbox mod, that's fo sho---nicely done. So far I've been happy using the "test" and "reset" buttons on my shock buster as a switch, but that's nice to have a rocker hard-wired in there too. Do you have a shockbuster or hard-wired GFI for connecting to the actual power source?

All of my outdoor outlets are GFCI but I did plan on using it anywhere therefore:
Power comes from the orange power cord into the on-board GFCI.
The pump and switch are on the load side so I am covered.

I'm jealous. I need to start me a new brew project me thinks. Thanks Evan and olllllo for the great ideas!

dude I got got so busted for this post. swmbo opened up the computer and said 'omg, what is this' thought i left it on a different page... anyway nice clean set up. guess I'll have to wait a little while before i try something like that.

Great job!

Now that you've been using this for a while, any recommendations / changes you'd suggest? I'm about to build this myself (now have all the parts) and looking to see what else you'd recommend from using it.

One question I had is if you're able to use the pump while the top toolbox is unattached from the bottom toolbox. It's not clear from the pictures whether there's enough clearance on the input side of the pump for the connection if that box is sitting on the ground. Looking at mine, with the connectors I have, it appears I'd need to raise the pump location in the box almost to the point of not being able to use the internal tray (or to modify it to fit around the pump). If you're able to, then maybe it's my choice of quick disconnects that needs to change.

There is not enough clearance for it to be run setting it on the ground, but there are plenty of things to set it atop of, so that I don't really think I would change too much.

Someone else did a build with a different March Head and they places the pump on the bottom container. It was a different rolling tool box as well. Search for that.

Yep - saw that one. I think I like this toolbox better however as I find it more "open" and flexible for various uses in each section. Ideally I would have gotten the march head where the intake comes in at a 90 degree to the output as I've seen some folks have. Unfortunately I didn't see that until after my purchase.

I'm shooting to have the pump in the top box and able to be placed on the ground and able to switch out connectors and leave the bottom box open for various hoses and other crap that I need. It appears that I could locate the pump such that I'll have enough clearance on the bottom with my disconnects if I place it in the upper left hand corner of the left side of the box. From there, I'd only need to cut out that small section of the tray to accommodate the pump and I'd still keep use of the tray and plenty of space beneath. If I add some rubber feet to the bottom of the top toolbox, that might give me the clearance I need to keep the entire tray intact (and allow me to drill some breathing holes which may or may not be necessary).

I'm also looking to attach a water filter to the other side of the box. The height restriction there is pretty small as well. On a side note, I wonder if it's possible (read: viable) to attach the pump to the filter in some way to speed water through teh filter along. I'd imagine it'd need to be on the water source side to stay primed and push the water through the filter, although at a head pressure low enough not to break the filter. Any thoughts there?

Latest posts

Back